Chapter 4

July 9, 1938

Ten days later, both boys had finished reading the novel and returned to Victoria Park once again. They sat in their little shaded spot, the long grass tickling their calves. While they discussed their book, Medusa was sunbathing on her favorite flat, smooth rock under the glorious lazy rays from the sun. The canopy of the Elder tree enveloped them, dotted with pale, unripened berries on each branch.

Their favorite pastime was to hold a book club for two and discuss the books' themes, characters, plot, really anything that was of interest. Harry and Tom both had a deep appreciation for how A Tale of Two Cities highlighted the duality of man, how it outlined right and wrong.

Pointing to an open page of the book, Harry stated, "Lucie was clearly in the right, a better person than Madame Defarge could ever be. She always tried to support the ones around her, even when rejecting Carton. Her happiness and well-being depended upon other people's happiness."

"Who determines what is right and wrong?" Tom challenged, eyes glinting, no doubt salivating over the prospect of debating Harry. "No one except yourself. And you can't say Lucie was better than Madame Defarge. Both women were just people, equal to each other. There is no right or wrong, only actions taken or not taken."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "So you think that Madame Defarge, a vicious, ruthless leader of the revolution, stands on the same pedestal as dear Lucie?"

"How many times must I say there is no pedestal? There is only the idea of a pedestal, which people are ever so eager to put others on."

"The idea of morality, of right and wrong in society is needed to maintain order and peace, otherwise we see what happened in France because of the absence of those aspects."

Tom tutted. "You think too naively. Take Madame Defarge. If the story was told from her perspective, you would not portray her as an evil villain. Instead, the story would be a tragic tale of triumph and loss, starting and ending with tragedy, all told from a woman who had experienced it all. The French elite committed unspeakable atrocities against her, her family, and the lower classes of society. She tried her best to bring her form of justice on those who wronged her. Who is right and wrong?"

Harry argued, "Madame Defarge went too far in her idealistic quest for vengeance. She terrorized Lucie and Charles, a man who had nothing to do with his family's crimes and was innocent by every meaning of the word. The son should not suffer for the sins of the father."

"Again, if told from Madame Defarge's perspective, Charles's innocence, which is highlighted by Dickens, would be muted or disregarded in her telling. It is not important to her, because atonement for the atrocities committed could only come from his death. Even so, if one considered her actions towards Charles a mistake, one slip up does not negate the rest of her actions."

"Justice is supposed to be impartial and fair, otherwise it is not justice. A single mistake undermines the whole structure of the law."

Tom sneered. "You place too much faith in the ideas of right and wrong. I admire Madame Defarge for her ruthless single-mindedness and drive, her independence, and how she undertakes decisions without any hesitation. She is much like me in that regard."

Although it was concerning that Tom related so much with Madame Defarge, Harry had not expected it to be different. He did, however, have faith Tom wouldn't become a ruthless murderer. Not under his watch.

"You only like Madame Defarge because you wish you could do whatever you want without facing backlash. You want to live only under your own rules. Unfortunately for you, you have to deal with me first. Karma caught up to Madame Defarge in the end, as it does for everyone eventually."