Chapter 27

As Harry and Tom entered the Great Hall, passing by the Slytherin table, they felt the air chill around twenty degrees.

Thank Merlin we aren't sitting there ever again.

Harry caught sight of Lawrence and waved, a genuine smile spreading across his face. Lawrence patted the seats next to him. The students around Lawrence scooted over and made room for them, pausing their chatter. Harry pretended not to notice as they both sat down.

Noticeably, the chatter behind them arising from the Slytherins also hushed.

As they sat down, Tom nodded once at Lawrence, who nodded in response. His attention shifted to Harry.

"Hey. It's been a while," Lawrence said. Everyone, both Ravenclaws and Slytherins, were intently listening to their conversation.

Harry felt their eyes burning into his back. "It really has been way too long," Harry agreed, offering an easy smile as he relaxed into his seat, dropping his bag on the side.

As they began eating, Harry said, "Sorry, I've just been so busy with everything, you know." He ducked his head, feeling shitty about not checking in with Lawrence more.

A gentle tap on his shoulder made Harry look up. "It's okay," Lawrence said, as if sensing his emotions. "I get it. Life happens."

Harry suppressed the urge to laugh bitterly. "Indeed," he said instead.

"Is everything alright? You haven't been yourself for the past few days."

"I'll be alright." Harry tried not to sound dismissive, as he did genuinely appreciate Lawrence's concerns, but he couldn't talk openly for obvious reasons.

Lawrence knit his brows. "It must have been something bad."

Harry smiled thinly, giving a little half shrug.

Lawrence put his fork down. "Anything I can do about it?"

Harry shook his head.

"Don't worry about us," Tom interrupted, a wry smile on his face. "We'll handle it."

Lawrence nodded. "That's true. If you can't handle it, then there's no way I can do anything."

"Thanks," Harry said, flushing slightly. "We'll have to wait until after today's Charms test to see if it's true though."

Lawrence waved his hand around dismissively. "You'll be fine—I mean you get consistent Os without tutors or expensive prep books!"

Harry failed to contain his snort as he placed two slices of toast on his plate. Tom smirked. "Well, we are the ones tutoring the Slytherins."

One of the Ravenclaws to Lawrence's left bit back a smile, trying not to laugh. Glee filled Harry as he heard the muttering from the Slytherins.

The owls arrived, and the table settled into a peaceful silence as everyone read their papers. Harry motioned for Tom to hand over the Daily Express and skimmed it, grimacing as he read,

Thursday, February 12, 1942

COMMUNIQUE: The Japanese drive on Singapore City has been pressed with vigour. Our troops have been forced further back. Fighting is bitter.

SINGAPORE: THE LAST STAND

"You read the muggle press?" asked the girl to Lawrence's right, squinting through her thick rimmed glasses as she tried to read the headline.

"We're probably the only two Slytherins that do," Harry replied, switching his Daily Express with Tom's Daily Prophet edition.

"It'll never stop being crazy that two muggleborns are in Slytherin," Lawrence muttered, shaking his head slightly.