Chapter 28

At eight, Harry and Tom arrived in front of the Room and dispelled their disillusionment charms. It was still too early to reveal the existence of the cloak to their newfound friends, so they'd travel using disillusionment charms for now.

A few moments after they dispelled their charms, people began appearing: first Nina, then Polly, and the two Ravenclaws who had come together, Lawrence and Myrtle.

"Have you all heard about the Room of Requirement?" Harry asked.

Everyone nodded.

Tom smiled. "Wonderful. I'll explain further once we're inside."

With that, Harry and Tom walked back and forth thrice, thinking of summoning a well-equipped dueling room. When they finished walking, a giant door revealed itself. Harry couldn't help but smirk as he opened the door.

When everyone was inside, Harry shut the door firmly and clapped once.

Tom explained, "You can summon the Room by thinking of what you would like and walking back and forth thrice. After that, a door should appear like it just did. What would you like to start learning? Harry and I have mastered most of the Defense curriculum and are familiar with most other spells."

"But today," Harry said, "we'll focus on perfecting your dueling forms. It'll increase the effectiveness of your spells, and we can start working on spellwork next time."

Tom clapped once and said, "Everyone, take off your robes and put them in the appropriate area near the door. Once you guys have finished, stand in front of a training dummy and follow my commands. Correct yourselves to Harry's form."

Once everyone had finished those tasks, Harry and Tom faced each other. Harry couldn't resist grinning widely.

Oh, this'll be fun. It's been forever since Tom's gotten to teach the basics.

As Tom spoke, Harry followed his instructions, demonstrating for the four gathered students.

"To assume the correct dueling position, first of all, one's feet must be in a specific position: point your dominant toe slightly outward and tilt your nondominant foot to form an acute angle between your heels. This angle may be anywhere from ninety degrees to thirty degrees, but as you are beginners, start at a forty-five degree angle. Now, step forward with your front foot until both feet are shoulder-width apart. your dominant foot should be slightly in front of the other. "

"This position is different from the one Professor Lupin taught us in class," said Myrtle, frowning petulantly.

"I've found that this position works better than the orthodox school of dueling taught in the curriculum. It personally gives me more mobility and flexibility compared to the archaic upright stance, which almost exactly resembles a fencer's stance."

Myrtle shrugged and got into the stance Tom recommended.

"Bend your knees until you reach Harry's stretch. None of us are Quidditch players, so expect it to burn the longer you hold this position. Dueling is much more physical than many people think."

Harry bent his knees and waited.

"Now, extend your dominant hand and angle your wand up slightly."

"Myrtle, Polly, and Lawrence!" Tom called. "Bend your knees."

Harry could see them wince slightly as they sunk deeper. He resisted the urge to cackle.

They really don't know what they signed themselves up for.

"Your forearm should be flat. It should look as though it's resting on a table top."

As Harry shifted in the correct position and waited, Tom got up and started helping each person individually so their poses were perfect.