Chapter 17

----- ----- -----

March 1941

The Room of Requirement was a blessing as the Second Global Wizarding War and Second World War raged on. In the Room, they didn't have to think about Hitler and Grindelwald's sweeping advances across Europe; they only had to focus on sorting the many items to the best of their abilities.

Once they had catalogued all they could, they began to delve into their hoard of books, including History and Traditions of the Autumn Equinox Throughout the Centuries by Ackerley Brickenden, a first edition of Olde and Forgotten Bewitchments and Charmes by Elmer R. Limus, and The Decline of Ritual Magic by Bathilda Bagshot. They read these books in the safety of their dormitory, away from prying eyes.

One of the more interesting books was A Defense of the Dark Arts by Lucille Arkwright, published in 1913.

"DEBUNKING THE CONTEMPORARY VIEW OF THE DARK ARTS.

The Dark Arts are one of the two branches of Magic, along with the Light Arts. Although the contemporary view of Dark Magic is that it aims to harm and kill, this view wildly misunderstands the topic. To understand Dark Magic, one must first understand Light Magic. Light Spells are only as strong as the caster's magical core, leaving many with the capability of only casting the simplest spells. But Dark Spells require intent, not magical strength, removing the limitation of Light Magic entirely.

Because of this, Dark Spells are, by nature, much more complicated and powerful than Light Spells, leading many to believe that they should be banned. However, the Dark Arts are just as likely to be used by healers as well as Azkaban convicts. Seventy percent of the spells used by St. Mungo's Mediwitches are Dark. It is only through the media's hysterical portrayal of Dark Spells that the Dark Arts are wrongfully stigmatized. Even though they exist, the small portion of Dark Spells primarily used to cause harm pale in comparison to the vast array of Dark Magic necessary for daily life.

Nowhere can the stigma of Dark Magic be felt keener than in Britain's lack of progress, leagues behind Germany and France, countries that encourage the Dark Arts. Germany is one of the most medically advanced countries, having released the Hooting Cough vaccine last year. Paris is the fashion capital of the world. Both feats are only possible through the widespread acceptance of the Dark Arts.

Societal progress is caused by the Dark Arts, contrary to what the British mainstream media spouts."

Harry scowled at the book. It was technological innovation that brought forth chemical warfare in the First World War, in both the Muggle and Magical world. Western values, the so-called pinnacles of human achievement, were used to carry out unimaginable horrors. Innovations in war technology were the scourge of humankind. After all, they had experienced it firsthand in Muggle London.

Harry shoved the book in Tom's direction. "I'm not reading the rest of this, if it's all like this. Technology is meant to be regulated."

Tom raised an eyebrow. "How small-minded of you," he said in a disinterested tone. "Progress is progress, no matter its roots."

"Technology for the sake of it is no progress at all," Harry argued. "The only use of such horrid technology is to torture and kill."

Tom shrugged. "Technology is not inherently good or bad."

"You just don't believe in morality."

Tom sneered. "Total war is an inevitability. In times of peace, these technologies would be used in ways more appetizing to your bland appetite." He held up his palm, saying, "The stain of war will fade from these innovations with time."