1, first year: New Friends and Sorting

Sirius 

The train, my possible freedom from home, that is if Bella and the others don't completely ruin it for me, just arrived. I hurried from any trace of Black, I'm not going to be stuck sitting with my cousins. I stumbled into a compartment, cursing myself quietly for fxxking up my first impression with the people who were already in there. 

"'Lo!", a friendly looking boy who looked about my age said. He wore circle glasses that would've made him dorky, if not for the confidence in his smile. His brown hair was so messy it looked like it could never be tamed. "I'm James Potter."

"And i'm Peter, uh, Peter Pettigrew," there were two boys in the compartment. The second, who just introduced himself as Peter, looked the the same age and me and Glasses. He had dirty blonde hair and looked nervous. Almost opposite in energy to James. Despite the difference, the two boys looked comfortable enough together that I was sure they knew each other for a while.

"I'm Sirius Black, pleased to meet you" I said. The two exchanged quick glances in recognition of my name. I grit my teeth to hide a grimace of disappointment.

"Sit down, sit down!" James said reminding me of a mother, not my mother of course, but a loving one. I relaxed the tiniest bit in relief. "where do you think you'll be sorted?"

I was saved from answering with another boy appearing in the doorway.

"Mind if I sit here?" The third boy to grace my presence was a lanky boy who, despite not wearing the obnoxious glasses like potter boy here, looked smart. He looked a bit too tired to be an 11 year old, but I could tell he was one anyway. 

" 'Course," James was definitely a leader sort. "we were talking about where we gonna be sorted"

"Mmh." Lanky boy said. " I suppose anything but Slytherin'll do."

" I want to be in Gryffindor" James said

" Me too!" Peter piped in, " bet you will be James, you are perfect for it"

"Yeah. Oh, um we never got your name?'

All our eyes went to the fourth unnamed member of our compartment. "Uh yeah, I'm Remus Lupin." He looked uncomfortable. It was obviously he didn't like his name. We all repeated our names for him. He tilted his head at mine. "Like the star?"

I preferred this to my last name being recognized but it was still ridiculous . "Mmhm, the whole black family got stars," remus nodded in vague interest.

" What house do you wanna be in?" I realized I was the last to answer.

"Another thing I inherited, I am going to be Slytherin"

James frowned. " you really want to be in that?"

"No" I said bitterly " but no use wishing for anything else. Never been a non-slytherin black."

"Oh" they switched topics. Conversation went pretty smoothly and I wished I could be friends with these three. Despite Peter and James knowing each other, they didn't leave Remus or I out.

***

I put off thinking about sorting until it actually started. While waiting to go in, I saw James ogling a nice looking ginger girl who stood next to a nasty looking black greasy haired boy. I was about to tease him when a teacher came to bring us in. I was close to the beginning since I had a b last name.

" Black, Sirius" the teacher said. I sat on a little stool. She placed a old hat on my head

"Black hmm? All of you are the same, slytherins. Hmm, but you.. ha quite reckless. Brave some might say hmm? Might be time to switch it up? Maybe have a gryffindor black. Yes yes definitely must be GRYFFINDOR" 

I was stunned into silence and numbly walked over to the assigned table, purposely avoiding looking at the table where the rest of my school aged family was. Gryffindor clapped for me. I barely saw James, Remus and Peter join me. The ginger girl, Lily, I think she introduced herself as, joined too. Her friend went to slytherin. For the best, he looked mean. People talked to me, I don't really remember. I tried to at least grasp names that night.

"Sirius," James pulled me aside soon after dinner. " I guess being sorted here was weird for you huh?"

I blinked in surprise. "Uh yeah, of course I'm glad-"

"Yeah, yeah, but are you okay?"

"I'm bloody knackered but right as rain."

He didn't look convinced. "I don't know much about you but I could tell you were out of it."

"Don't be such a girl, James, I'm fine."

He avoided my eyes and walked away. I was left feeling confused and a little guilty. Somehow things weren't awkward between us when we joined the rest of the group. He didn't bring it up. I properly learned people's names the next day. Lily started making friends with two girls Mary and Marlene. I shared a room with the three I met on the train. It was going too well for my tastes.

AN: hi lol