2, first year : Mastermind

Remus 

Classes started a few days after we got here. I was pleasantly surprised to be placed with the other boys on the train. Sure, I wasn't a coward, but.. anyway, I got along well with them. There was some kind of bond between Sirius and James, I could tell even so early. Lily was nice, so were her friends, she has similar taste in music. With all that going well, I wasn't completely surprised with the conflict in class.

Potions. I paired with peter. James with Sirius, of course. Mary and Marlene. Lily with a rude black haired slytherin she looked like she was familiar with. Doracus with a girl I didn't remember the name of. Now, we didn't start making potions but that turned out to be fortunate.

"Lily sit with me," the rude boy said. Lily had nodded to the boy, and then to her two friends, it was an odd numbered group anyway. Mary and Marlene didn't look to like the idea but let her go. 

Despite having a partner, James said, "Evans! Sit with me!" He got a smack on the arm from Sirius for that.

Lily frowned at James and sat with the slytherin, whose name was apparently Severus Snape.

James mumbled too loudly,"He's a Slytherin, Sirius, I must save her."

" I think I can protect myself, Potter." 

He was saved from responding with class starting. Snape snickered triumphantly. James grit his teeth. "I'm getting that slimy git after class."

"He definitely is slimy with that hair."

I missed a few phrases and tried to concentrate on the lesson. But soon the jealous gryffindor and the indeed very greasy slytherin were fighting, physically that is.

Similar fights happened with different classes James had with Snape. Some physical, some magical, most verbal. James had detention more times than not. Sirius often is with him. Every once and a while Peter and I had to help, we weren't going to let one of our new best friends get hurt and besides Snape deserved it honestly.

After a while I was sick of it. One day, soon after a full moon, I was washing the bathroom floor with James, of course no magic. "James, please, can't we get back at him in a way that doesn't get me detention? I need to study."

James pulled a face. "Nerd. What do you have in mind?"

"I'm surprised you haven't started pranking people."

"Pranks? How is that going to help?"

"It's a lot harder to get caught, and a lot more fun."

James looked at me like I was a genius. "You're right! Why punch snevilous when we can prank him."

I rolled my eyes. "You are bloody daft sometimes Potter."

He smiled. "What do you have in mind, mastermind?"

" Nope, I'm not getting involved."

He begged me all week. Of course, he also got Sirius to beg. Even Peter begged me to help them. "Please just give them an idea. They are driving me crazy."

"Nope, let them suffer."

Naturally, they still wanted to prank, even without my ideas. It took them a bit of time, but soon, they had enough mediocre ideas to start pranking by themselves, on not only Snape, but all the slytherins. Of course, some pranks were good natured and therefore, their payback from not helping them was getting pranked myself. Not that Peter or the other gryffindors had immunity. Only the 'precious' Lily Evans got protection. "What about me james? Don't you love me? What happened to our undeniable chemistry!" Sirius is dramatic as always.

"It's still there, my sweet honey cake, it just doesn't protect you from my mastermind."

"Remus hasn't done anything"

I smiled at being called their mastermind. It never gets old.

"Not him! Me!"

"Sweet bunches, you aren't a mastermind. You are a temporary co- idea maker."

" Idea maker?" I chipped in, amused.

"You can't make fun of my titles without making your own."

"If I give you an idea, you have to buy me chocolate." i looked up from the book I was pretending to read to see their reactions

Despite not having any way to get chocolate in my mind, they both looked super excited. "Please!!"

"either of you good at charms?"

AN: am I making the chapters too short? I can't tell.