Fifteen: James

Summer was finally here, and James couldn't have been happier. Sirius had come home with him to stay for a few weeks, and the two of them had been having fun since they didn't have to think of school.
They didn't do much. There wasn't much to do in James' neighborhood, so they usually ended up walking around and talking.
"I'm going home tomorrow," Sirius said miserably.
"You can stay here if you want," James said. He didn't want Sirius to have to go back to his house. Not only would he miss him, but he knew that Sirius would have a hard time going back home.
"No, I've got to go tomorrow. Regulus' birthday is in a week and I need to be back for it." Sirius frowned slightly. "We're not really talking too much, but I need to be there for his birthday. I always make a small cake or something."
"Then you've got to go," James said. He didn't know it was Reggie's birthday.
The rest of the day went by quickly, and before James knew it, Sirius had left the next morning to go back home.
This left James by himself, contemplating if he should do something for Reggie's birthday. Maybe he should send a card, or a gift. He wasn't really sure. He and Reggie were friends, so he figured he should probably send something.
Besides, Reggie was a good friend to him. Some of the best times at school were spent at the astronomy tower with Reggie.
    And who knew, maybe James liked Reggie. James certainly didn't know.
    "Mother," James said running quickly to the living room, "Do you think I can walk to town?"
Euphemia Potter looked up from the book she was reading. "What for?"
    "I need to buy a gift for Regulus Black. It's his birthday."
    She smiled. "Go ahead."
    "Thank you!" James ran out the door, excited to walk to town.
    There was never anything to do in his neighborhood, but there was a small town near his house. There wasn't much there, just a restaurant, some small shops, and a bakery, but James always had fun when he went.
    He walked for a few minutes before entering the town, and he started thinking about what he would even be buying Reggie.
    There wasn't much to choose from. Most of the stores just had small useless things, and he wanted to get something special.
    He looked around until he stopped at the last store. It looked just like the other ones, and he went inside not expecting much. He ended up finding the pet section, and decided on a small pink collar for Neige.
***
The letter was the hardest part. He wasn't even sure what he should write, so he ended up with a trash can full of crumpled half written letters. None of them seemed to get the message he wanted across. He wanted to say something nice, but nothing sounded right.
He finally decided on a nice, simple birthday message, and sent it off before he could think too hard about it. Writing to his other friends was never this stressful. He wrote Sirius, Remus, and Peter everyday and he was never this concerned over what he was writing.
James stressed about the letter for the rest of the day, and partially the next day, until he got a letter back from Reggie.

James,
Thank you very much for the card and gift. Neige is wearing her new collar right now. How have you been? I'm excited to return to school in the fall.
    Write soon,
    R.A.B.

    Now James had to write a letter back, of course.

    Reggie,
    I am glad Neige is enjoying her collar. I've been doing fine, thanks for asking. How are you doing? I'm also excited to go back to school. We should go to Hogsmeade together once we're back, because you're in third year now and can go.
    Write soon,
    James Potter

    He got a reply within one day, and Reggie said that going to Hogsmeade with James would be a lot of fun, and that he's excited to go. They wrote letters back and forth, planning to go to Hogsmeade the Saturday after they got back to school. James felt nervous, but he wasn't sure why. He was excited to go back to school and see Reggie.