𝐈𝐈𝐈: 𝐓𝐨𝐱𝐢𝐜 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

𝐈𝐈𝐈: 𝐓𝐨𝐱𝐢𝐜 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

Having a toxic parent is hard to have. TRUST ME I KNOW. That's why today, I'm going to tell you some of the signs of a toxic parent, reasons why they are toxic, how you can deal with having a toxic ass parent, and my personal experience with a toxic parent.

Signs that your parent is toxic:♡

1. They lack empathy, sympathy or, they are emotionally unavailable. This means that the parent tends to make you feel invisible or they may make you feel like you don't matter to them.

2. They dismiss your feelings. This means the parent dismisses your pain/emotions and that causes you to shut down, and feel like you need to be closeted and not open up to others. Your relationship tends to be distant as well.

3. They disrespect your boundaries. This means that they tend to go through your things such as your phone, your diary, or any other personal items you have. They also tend to not give you warnings when they feel the need to pop up in your room unannounced. This may make the child feel like they aren't entitled to their own privacy. Parents use this as a form of control over the child and they tend to make you feel like you're their property just because you birthed them or you took care of them.

4. They are demanding. When I say demanding I don't mean for example the parent telling you to wash the dishes. When I say demanding I mean they tend to be overbearing and they try to control your every move and they use you being their child as an excuse for treating you like property.

5. They compare you to other people. They tend to say, "Why aren't you like your sibling?". or "She got better grades than you, surely you can do better". This isn't healthy because it makes the child feel like they aren't good enough or that they can't meet up to the parent's expectations.

6. They love you conditionally. This means that they love you only in the good times/when things go their way. However, when things don't go their way they tend to be distant or the parent doesn't really respect you the way that they did when you did things their way. The child tends to feel like they aren't worthy of the parent's love.

7. They gaslight things and situations. This means that they tend to make things seem more or less than what they actually are. You tend to even question your own reality when the parent does this. They also make it seem like you overreact when they do malicious (spiteful/wicked) things to you.

8. They never or rarely take accountability for their actions. This means that for example, let's say your parents hurt your feelings or they make a mistake and you try and correct them on that mistake, they think that since they are the parent it's okay to do these things. They also don't really care too much about your feelings on matters that affect you as a child.

9. They put on a facade in front of other people. This means that for example in private they may disrespect you or make it seem you have a great relationship but in public they make it seem like you have the perfect relationship and they all of a sudden become nice to you in the public eye. They do this because if someone were to correct them for their behavior, they would reveal how much of a failure they believe they are inside. They also hate criticism which also causes them to put on a facade. They do this also because they wanna feel validation from others to be considered a good parent.