Chapter 30: Coming To Terms

Later that night I settled down at my desk and worked on homework. I finished a rough draft for my writing final as my phone buzzed on my desk. I flipped it over half expecting a text from Dimitri and to my surprise the name 'Liz - Nerd' popped up on my screen.

"(Liz): What's up nerd. How's your finals going." I could hear the annoying sisterly tone with her text.

"Hey, just finishing up my first one. What about you, nerd." I texted back almost immediately.

She took her time answering, "Just working on some studying thought I'd check in. See how your little bromance is going."

"Bitch, fuck off. Who keeps telling you all this."

"A little bird-y. Doesn't matter, give me the 'deeds'."

"Ugh, you're so weird." I argued, finding the topic of admitting that I've kissed Dimitri to be a little weird entirely.

"No I'm curious. You're my big brother but that doesn't mean I can't treat you like my little one." She answered quickly.

"Oh my god. I mean we spend a lot of time together. I spent the night at his place last night. We went to Waffle House." I answered.

"Nice." She attached an embarrassed emoji with it.

"No, fuck you. No." I answered quickly. I could feel the tension of the conversation begin to change my thoughts as I found a way to shift the conversation.

"Oh ok. Good. Just making sure." She answered almost in an annoying sisterly way.

"Fuck you." I answered and double texted, "What about you? You want to check in on my shit. Who you talking to?" I answered trying to change the subject.

"Oh, no one important. It's the end of the year." She answered.

"Oh please, now I know there's someone."

"You sound like Mom." I giggled at my phone as she doubled texted, "His name's Jason. She sent a photo of a tall, African-American guy with short black hair and a familiar face that I'd recognize anywhere. I played soccer with him for over two years. He's been one of our family friends since I was little. Our parents would get together and we would have bonfires after soccer games. The taste of s'mores just barely missed my taste buds.

"Wait, you can't be serious!" I answered.

"Shut up, shut up, shut up. We're not gonna talk about it." She answered almost immediately.

"I'm telling Dad!" I joked.

"I'll tell Dad about your little thing!" She answered.

"Bitch, please. If they found out about you, they would cheer you on. If they found out about me, I wouldn't have a place to sleep." I answered.

"Alright, fair." She quickly responded.

"Yeah. But I didn't think he went to your school?" I asked.

"He doesn't, but we've been texting for a bit now and he came to visit over the weekend." She answered.

"Oop." I responded with the same emoji she sent.

"No, no, no. Don't you dare. He came to visit his friend that goes here." She returned.

"Ok, fine. But that doesn't mean y'all didn't spend a lot of time together!" I answered enthusiastically.

"Shut up, you spent the night at your boy's place." She answered.

I texted back almost immediately, "He's not 'my boy' he's my best friend."