BOOK 3 CH 2: Ticking

As soon as I get there, I notice James flying around, watering the flowers. It's actually the first time I've seen him really get a grip on his flying, and honestly I'm really proud of the guy. When teaching him how to do it I felt like some kind of older brother, and I still do.

I make sure to make my presence known silently so James doesn't get spooked and he waves at me.

"Hey, Tinky Winky! Took you long enough to show yourself!"

I don't know what kind of face I'm making but it's enough to make James burst out into laughter.

"I was about to compliment you on your flying splendour but - TINKY WINKY?!"

"Dan misspelled your name in a DM yesterday and it's now our nickname for you. Get used to it." He laughs, flying over to me and patting my head. I roll my eyes and chuckle a little. It is a funny nickname, if a bit stupid. "Either way, what've you been doing as of recently? I haven't seen you around!"

"I'm trying to figure out the cause of all of this...I haven't gotten anywhere, other than it's definitely connected to Kindness somehow." I state, and James nods in agreement.

"Sounds about right."

We make small talk about James' situation. He's learned how to fly properly now, and he's enjoying it, if he has to admit.

"It feels..right, I guess." He shrugs, and I do too, though the fact it feels 'right' concerns me a little. Maybe he's just getting used to it.

We're interrupted from our small talk by a slam of an iron door next to us, and we turn to Dan, slightly disheveled from his night time adventures yesterday.

"Dan!" I wave, trying to push back the events of last night. "How're you?"

Dan seems to take the hint, also just smiling as if there's no tension. "Pretty good. Where's Squiddy boy?"

"Not sure." Making eye contact with him, something starts up again. The ticking.

It's even faster and louder today, and it's angering me so much. It's constant, just a little noise setting off alarm bells in my head.

Tick, tick, tick.

I bite my lip and try to ignore it, turning back to James. He doesn't have any ticking surrounding him, after all.

"Squid? I think he's working in his brewery!" James says, pointing to the tavern beside us.

As if on cue, the now glowing squid pops out, holding a healing potion.

"Morning mateys! The brewery isn't ready yet, if you're asking."

"I wasn't!" I tease, chuckling. As I do, I notice Squid and Dan making eye contact behind me. Plotting something, I think.

Looking at Squid, that ticking noise is back, but it's slower and quieter. It's the same frequency as Dan's from last night. How I am able to distinguish between them now I couldn't tell you, but it annoys me a little less now. I can vaguely hear Dan's in the background though, and so I try to block it out.

It seems to change looking between the two. So it's different per person. Weird.

"Justin, you alright?" Squid asks, mildly concerned.

"Huh? No, I'm alright." I say, pulling myself away from the noises. They're only testing me at this point. Oh, right, I'm supposed to ask about Kindness. "Well, actually I ha-"

"Oh! SB's joining today, right?" James says, interrupting my question. Ah, forgot about that.

"Yep." Squid nods. "We'll have to explain to him about all of this, huh?"