10 | red like blood

tw: death of a child

The doors slid open to reveal three carriages across the courtyard, one neatly parked, while the other two looked as if they were on the verge of crashing into one another.

The former carriage was crafted using polished, black wood and embellished with gold, and the sun in splendour crest of House Chauvelot could be seen very clearly at the side of the carriage. I smiled, anticipating greatly to see my mother-in-law. The carriage doors swung open, and the first to exit was my husband, and two little children quickly followed suit. 

Anna-Maria had grown quite considerably, and she now stood by my elbow, which is quite a feat considering her young age. Her personality however, remained the same. Disinterested black eyes gazed around the estate, and even if she did feel awe upon seeing the vast Winterbourne Castle, she surely hid it well. Standing next to her was little Edgar, and unlike his younger sister, he actually showed enthusiasm, albeit a bit too much. He smiled widely, grinning nonstop, but his eyes were blank and empty. 

         "Lady Anne," Anna-Maria greeted courteously, although her cold countenance remained. 

        "I trust you have been well, Maria ?" I said warmly in return. Somehow, I felt inclined to treat this little girl nicely, maybe due to the fact that both she and I had been resurrected using the same method, and this similarity drew me closer to her.

        "Not quite," she answered blatantly. "Mother has forced me to take embroidery and painting lessons, but I am very certain that I would never have the use for that."

        "That is quite unfortunate," I said to her. "Well, what do you want to learn, Maria ?"

        "Accounting," she replied, much to my surprise. "When I am older, I shall open ten businesses under my name, and what is the use for embroidery and painting then ? I keep telling this to Mother but she would not listen."

         "Enough Maria !" I heard a sharp voice reprimand, and the little girl immediately went silent, albeit reluctantly. I turned around to see Anna-Claudia, hands folded arrogantly as strutted over and very unwillingly greeted me, her head barely bowed as she did so. 

This was Rhyland, and she is a nobody here but a simple Alice Durant, and how could she outrank the Duchess of Cindertrappe ? I relished in this realisation as I simply nodded at her, not even bothering to speak.

I noticed my mother-in-law stepping down from the carriage, and I hastily walked over to her. Her face lit up when she saw me, and a wide smile bloomed on her lips.

       "Oh, my dear Anne !" she exclaimed as her pulled me into a hug. "Have you been well ? Did you drink the medicine that I sent to you ?"

       "I did, Mother," I replied, savouring her embrace. During the months I spent here in Rhyland, I realised that all throughout my life, I had been deprived of the love of a mother, and now I missed her greatly.

        "Let us go inside, Anne. This blaring heat isn't good for you," she said, grabbing my hand and hastily led me back into the hall. 

Meanwhile, Gilbert had to deal with our Moreau cousins, and along with them were the provincial McCarthy's. As he conversed about the military with our uncle, Cecily stood beside him, pale as a ghost as she stared at our cousin, Benedict. Her eyes slowly became red and teary, and her balled up fists trembled at her sides.

       "Excuse me for a moment, Mother," I quickly said as I rushed towards Cecily, who looked as if she were about to burst into tears any moment now.