40 | heavy is the head that wears the crown

The scent of rose water and musk permeated the room, assaulting my senses. I sat quietly on the chair as Lillianna gently patted some powder on my face, while Argenta nimbly combed and smoothed down my long wavy locks.

Today, I wear a gown of delicate cream silk with gold and silver thread embroidery. Motifs of the sun in splendour and periwinkles decorate the bodice and the cuffs of my sleeves, while pearls and amethysts were sewn into my elaborate skirt.

    My cloak of ermine laid neatly on the bed, having been cleaned by Lillianna several days before. I had only worn it once during my coronation several years ago, and there has not been an occasion that required it to be worn ever since. Hence, it had been sitting in a chest for a few years, gathering dust.

    "You look magnificent, My Lady," Argenta declared as she poured some argan oil into her palm and smoothed it down my dark tresses.

She was right. Indeed, I looked glorious and resplendent, but that was on the outside. Deep inside, I felt hollow and dead, as if all the joy in my life has left me, never to return.

Lillianna lifted the ermine cloak and draped it over my shoulders. As I traced my fingers against the soft fur, I remembered how happy I was to be able to wear the cloak during my first coronation.

I could still recall it as clear as day. The bright golden sun shining in the sky, the scent of wildflowers perfuming the air, and the grand procession of beguiling dancers and bejewelled courtiers.

      Banners of House de Chauvelot and House of Winterbourne decorate every nook and cranny on the path of our procession, and the skies were so clear, as if the heavens were bestowing their blessings on us.

I remember feeling like an exalted person, like a phoenix that had risen from the ashes, but now I realise that my life had been smooth sailing until that point. Only after that did the fires begin.

Perhaps, I am no phoenix after all. Perhaps, I am nothing more than a simple crow, merely too greedy for her own good.

The coronation was to be held at our own palace, as I was not well enough to travel to Montlême Palace, where it was originally supposed to take place

     There was no procession this time, no banners and no shower of flower petals. The palace was still grandly decorated, though it could barely hold a candle to our first coronation.

I was escorted to the entrance of the grand hall, where my husband awaited. The cloak of ermine weighed down on me, and I kept staring down at the carpeted floor underneath my embroidered shoes.

I stared, and stared. Then, I saw that the floor suddenly became much nearer and nearer. As if I were in a daze, I did nothing to stop it.

    "Anne!" I hear a voice yell out, and my hand was abruptly snatched, preventing me from hitting the floor.