38 | life and death

"Your Majesty, Gilbert Winterbourne has defied your orders by marching to Terrawyn. You must order for his arrest, for he has committed high treason!" the Marquis of Hasteburn barked, his round face red with rage.

The room was silent, and aside from the Marquis's heavy breathing, there was no sound whatsoever. All the men in the room were in a state of fear and panic, and worse, no one knew what to do.

Cassian Winterbourne was dead. The King's greatest benefactor was dead.

     Gilbert was understandably mad with grief, but his decision to march north could very well cost Edmund his crown, and as for the Phoenicians, their lives. But what else could have he done? The Terrawinnians rejected their peace treaty, and even went ahead and slaughtered the Earl of Rhyland.

They incited the war, and the Phoenicians were forced to play along.

    "That boy is a traitor, Your Majesty. He is a product of his heretical upbringing. It isn't wise to keep traitors within your circle-"

    "Enough!" Edmund shouted. "I've had enough of your lies! Gilbert Winterbourne has done more for this kingdom than you and your house ever did!"

The Marquis of Hasteburn reeled in shock, having never seen such rage on the King's face before.

      Edmund added, "Haven't you realised, Lord Hasteburn, that you are blinded by your own prejudice and hatred? You are so consumed by your ideals that you see everyone different from you as inherently evil. For once, let me hold a discussion that is untainted with your ramblings!"

The Marquis lowered his eyes in shame, but he could still hear the sly chuckles of those around him, revelling in his misfortune.
      Rupert Hasteburn had thought that the King would value him more, now that the Earl of Rhyland was dead. But why does it seem as if he had fallen out of favour instead?

The King ignored the sulking marquis and continued with his discussion, though none of the lords had any idea on how to solve their problems. A vast majority proposed that the nobilities flee to Amaris, or even ask the foreign kingdoms to lend them their armies.

      Then, just as the lords began to quarrel amongst themselves, the door to the council room swung open and a young lady burst inside.

It was not just any young lady, however. It was Lady Lillianna Reinmar, the Queen's lady-in-waiting.

    "Is there something wrong, Lady Reinmar?" Lord Ingram asked warily, and at that moment, the King finally turned around to glance at her.

The King was shocked to see Lillianna with her hair dishevelled, tears and snot running down her cheeks, and her face was completely white, as if she had just seen a ghost.

    "Your Majesty," she choked in between sobs. "The Queen's baby is coming early."