29 | devotion

Note: Please bear in mind that all the characters and organisations within this story are purely fictional, thus unrelated to the real world.

     Despite the shooting pain up my leg, I continued to kneel on the cold floor, with no strength to stand up. I felt weak, as if all life has been sucked out of me.

This is my last resort. If the Gods above could not help me, then who can?

        "Your Majesty, it is already nighttime. We should be returning home by now," I hear Lillianna whispering to me gently. I nod as slowly move away from the altar, but not before making one final bow.

We boarded the carriage, where I fell asleep almost immediately. I shunned all the snacks and refreshments that they offered-- all I wanted to do was to rest.

          "Your Majesty, wake up !"

          "Something terrible has happened !"

I force myself awake, and upon waking up I saw both Lillianna and Argenta sitting upright in the carriage, their eyes wide in vigilance.

           "What has happened ?" I questioned groggily, and without skipping a beat, Argenta voiced out, "A plague has struck Rhyland. No one knows where it came from, but the people have been falling down dead like flies! We will be heading back to the palace, and pray that we haven't been infected."

It was not only Rhyland that was ravaged by the plague

It was not only Rhyland that was ravaged by the plague. The cities of Sutherland, Aldridge and Springledge all suffered great casualties, and every day I live in fear for my family down south.

        I sent letters to both my parents and my brother, inviting them to take refuge at the palace, but none of them took the invitation.

We would like to stay with the people, Gilbert wrote. And quite frankly, I wish that I were with them too right now.

In front of me, I see the Hasteburn brothers, their hands hidden behind their backs like a merchant trying to swindle his customer.

          "This plague is a sign from God," the Grand Priest began. "He is angry at us for putting a heretic on the throne."

I let out a scoff. "So what do you suggest ?"

His thin lips curved into a dull smile. "You must renounce your faith and convert to ours. It is the only way to alleviate God's wrath."

Again with this talk. The Hasteburns were quite adamant, obsessed even with the idea that all rulers should be of their faith.

            "And what if I don't want to ?" I shot back.

Rupert Hasteburn cleared his throat and broadened his shoulders in an attempt to appear more powerful and respectable. "Then you must take responsibility for all the deaths that occurred due to the plague. Don't you see that all the affected regions are in the south? Isn't that enough of an indicator that God is trying to heal the kingdom by killing off all the heretics ?!"