Chapter 30: "Coming of Age"

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the people or places that belong to the wonderful world of Harry Potter, as they belong to J.K. Rowling. The OCs (Katherine, Septimus, Serenity, Helena, Christoph, Elisa, Henry, Nick and any name you don't recognize, and isn't from the HP universe) are entirely my own.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Mr. Prince," Professor Darius Prescott called out over the heads of his students. "Please stay behind for a moment."

Septimus, Helena and his friends started; for they had never heard their professor speak so loudly before. The dark haired teenager swallowed heavily at the sight of the elder's face, which was set firm and cold. The friends all glanced at each other warily, before quickly retreating to the classroom door, leaving Septimus standing all alone.

"Come forward please," Prescott said firmly. Septimus frowned slightly; his potions professor had never spoken to him like that before. The professor was always soft spoken, even when reprimanding his students.

"Sit," Prescott said briskly, as his conjured up a chair in front of his desk. Slowly Septimus sank into the wooden spindle seat, and let his book bag drop to the floor with a great, heavy thud.

"I want to have a discussion with you about the trip," the professor stated, as he folded his hands on the top of his desk; his dark amber eyes studying Septimus' black ones carefully.

"Oh! Is that all," Septimus exclaimed, as he released the breath the he had been holding.

"I did not give you permission to speak yet Mr. Prince," Prescott snarled lightly, causing the boy's eyes and head to snap back up to attention. Septimus' mouth snapped shut quickly; his black eyes widened with a bit of fear.

"I must confess, I am disappointed in you," Prescott lectured, as he stepled his fingers. "In the six years I have known you; I have never known you to be a whiny, self-centered brat." Septimus' mouth remained shut, but his brow furrowed in confusion.

"Last Thursday when I was at your home, I was under the impression that there had been a rift between you and your parents," Prescott continued firmly. "Is this a correct assumption, Mr. Prince?"

"Ye...yes," Septimus stuttered.

"What was that, Mr. Prince?" Prescott asked with a light sneer.

"Yes, sir."

"That's better," Prescott said; his eyes never leaving the boy's. "Now. On Monday afternoon, I flooed your parents to discuss more about the trip with them, and they told me of your behavior from the week before. Your father seemed extremely disgusted by your behavior...as am I.

"Septimus," Prescott sighed heavily, his face softening a bit. "You are going to be seventeen soon. You're a perfect. A top student. A phenomenal Quidditch player, and one hell of a dueler. But I never thought I'd see the day you would become a spoiled brat.

"And..." Prescott paused; hardening his face once more. "If I see that type of display here at school...I will remove you from the trip list and find someone else. Understood."

"Yes, sir."

"Good," the professor exclaimed, as he summoned a small black handbag to himself. "Now then. Your father and I discussed a few things concerning the state that UK is still in, and he has come up with a list of spells and even a few hexes that he would like you to know before the trip."

"What's in the bag?" Septimus asked quietly, as he was still uncertain if the professor would start in on him again.

"Books," Prescott said simply, as he handed the bag over to his student. "About twenty in all. I've highlighted all of the spells that your parents wish for you to learn. We would like you to study and practice them as much as possible, especially the Patronus Charm."