Chapter 3 - Chance Meetings

Italics = thoughts and phone conversations
Bold = flashback

--

(New York City, Same Day)

A flash of light appeared in a Manhattan apartment and the figure of a very confused woman materialized on her living room couch.

She was sweaty and breathing hard from her impromptu workout.

"What the Hell just happened?!" Gwen whispered to herself. Not long ago, she was being chased by a number of men dressed in black, one of whom seemed to have Russian accent and after that, she appeared in a room where Earth's Mightiest Heroes were in the middle of a powwow.

While she was trying to make sense of the weirdest day she had since those 3 helicarriers shot each other down in D.C., a certain billionaire playboy, dressed in one of his custom-made suits, arrived at Gwen's apartment complex. He hoped he got there before those that were after her did.

"Okay, F.R I.D.A.Y. Have you found out where our little teleporter is hiding?"

"She is in apartment 4A, Boss."

"Well, let's pay her a visit, shall we?" He quips as he puts on his shades. With the confidence he was world renowned for, he hit the button and was immediately buzzed in. He found the elevator and rode it up to the 4th floor where he hoped to find the young woman and not the remains of a ransacked apartment.

"At least the door's intact. That's a good sign." He says to himself as he knocked on the door. Inside, Gwen was still on high alert when she heard the knock. She inwardly wondered if thugs like the ones chasing were would even knock if they, indeed, had discovered where she lived, but ultimately decided that she couldn't take any chances. She grabbed her Louisville Slugger and stood behind her door.

She got herself into position, ready to hit a home run with whoever's head happened to dare poke inside

She got herself into position, ready to hit a home run with whoever's head happened to dare poke inside. The door slowly opened and Gwen held her breath; she could hear her heartbeat throbbing in her ears. Once the figure stepped inside, Gwen took a swing and made contact with something... but it wasn't a head.