Chapter 5 - Blink And You Miss It!

HOLY SMOKE! I can't believe my story has over 200 views! Thank you so much for the love! I'd love to have more eyes on them so if you could, please spread the word to your friends. Now, on with the fic!

--

Bold = flashback
Italics = foreign language and thoughts

--

-The Next Morning-

The rays of the morning sun filtered into the room through half closed blinds and fell upon a bed where two bodies lie comfortably snuggled against each other. The sunlight beamed down to the eyes of the young woman making her squint; but her efforts to block out the offending light proved fruitless.

"Man! What a weird dream." Gwen whispered to herself as she yawned. She wipes the sleep from her eyes and freezes when she hears the sound of steady breathing behind her. She can feel warm, steady puffs of air on the back of her neck. Her body stretched to get her circulation going and as she tried to get out of bed, she felt a strong arm tighten its grip and pulls her body flush against another entity.

"Don't go." The voice came in a husky whisper, but the underlying tone was timid and needy. It was then that she remembered what happened. Last night, she heard the screams of Bucky Barnes having a really bad nightmare and she went inside to console him. After calming him down, he begged her to stay.

--

"Don't go." The voice was so timid, it was barely heard in the quiet stillness. Gwen turned around and saw Bucky's face, his blue eyes pleading and filled with unshed tears. "Please stay."

Her heart fluttered, but it also broke when a single tear rolled down his stubbled cheek.

"Please. I don't want to be alone." His eyes persuaded her; his tears convinced her; but his breaking voice sealed the deal.

"Alright. I'll stay."

Bucky pulled his covers open and scooted over to make room for her. Gwen slid under the covers and joined Bucky in bed. As soon as she was settled in, Bucky spooned her from behind and wrapped his flesh arm around her waist. He made sure his metal arm remained tucked under his left side. Gwen settled into the warmth of his firm body and twined her fingers with his.

"Thank you." Came a timid whisper in the night.

"You're welcome." She answered. She waited until she heard Bucky's breathing even out. When she was sure he was asleep, she was comfortable letting the sandman whisk her away to the land of nod.

--

"Please... stay with me." Gwen felt every movement of his lips as they danced across the nape of her neck. Her breath hitched as the gentle scratching of his stubble sent shockwaves throughout her body and goosebumps erupted all over her skin. "You feel so warm."

She couldn't deny that his arm felt good wrapped around her body. He was holding her the way a child would hold a teddy bear; but, at the same time... he held her the way a lover would. As bad as she wanted to stay like this, she couldn't.

"I can't." She whispered with remorse. She tried again to get up, but Bucky just held her closer.

"Please..." Came his breathless plea.

"I wish I could; but I have to get up. Thunder needs his breakfast."

When she mentioned her little fur baby, the former assassin's eyes shot open. In the short time they were together, he'd grown fond of the little dog. Reluctantly, he released Gwen from his grip and allowed her to get out of bed. As Gwen got up and stretched the fatigue from her body, she turned to face Bucky who still had his body covered by his sheets.