Chapter 2 : Diagon Alley

When they stopped spinning, Aymee glanced around. They seemed to be in a hotel room.

"Where are we?"

"At the Leaky Cauldron," Kingsley explained. "Come."

They immediately left the room and went downstairs. Kingsley started to explain what was the plan.

"You're starting school in a week. I received your admission letter, which also contained a list of everything you need to have. Are you okay with taking everything today? That way we won't have to come back for shopping."

"No problem..."

Aymee's voice died away by itself when they reached the first floor. Around the different tables in the bar were all kinds of people, very different from each other, finishing their lunch. However, the one that caught Aymee's eye was a gigantic man who occupied three chairs all by himself. He was drinking from a bucket and his drink was dripping through his beard and shaggy hair."

"Hagrid!" suddenly exclaimed a bald old man dressed in black. "You're still messing up my table!"

"Oh, sorry, Tom!" exclaimed the giant. "Oh! Kingsley!"

Kingsley nodded in greeting.

"Hello Hagrid, Tom" Kingsley said, pulling out his wand. "Let me help you."

Kingsley flicked his wand and, instantly, the puddle of alcohol that was spilled on the table vanished.

"Thank you, Kingsley!" said Hagrid and Tom heartily.

Hagrid rose from his seat and Aymee feared he would bang his head against the ceiling. The giant smiled widely.

"Good to see you again, Kingsley! What are you doing there?"

"I accompany my goddaughter to Diagon Alley to buy her school's supplies."

"Oh! I didn't know you had a niece!" Hagrid exclaimed as he leaned over to Aymee and held out his hand. "Hello young lady."

Aymee grinned and squeezed his hand.

"Hello! My name is Aymee Parker!"

Hagrid's eyes widened before getting wet. He exchanged a glance with Kingsley as if to confirm something. He pulled a horrible polka dot handkerchief out of one of his pockets and wiped his eyes.

"Oh! Parker! I knew your dad, you know? Arthur was a really good person. Really very brave. I'm so sorry, I didn't know he had a daughter! Oh dear! I am not worthy to be called his friend!"

Hagrid blew his nose and Aymee felt uncomfortable making such a nice stranger cry. She patted his hand to comfort him.

"It's okay, don't worry. I'm sure he liked you very much."

"Oh, you're so nice! Thank you, Aymee. I'll be fine."

Still, Hagrid snorted for a few more minutes. Finally, Kingsley had to cut their conversation short.

"Sorry, Hagrid, but we have to go," Kingsley apologized.

"Oh! Of course, I understand. You must be very busy. So I shall salute you! Aymee, we'll meet again in a week."

"Oh, really?" Aymee asked surprised.

"You know, Aymee, I work at the castle. I'm the keeper of the keys to Hogwarts, among other things" Hagrid clarified. "I live in the school yard. You can come and say hi from time to time if you want. I'll make tea and cookies."

"It's true? Wow! Thank you! See you then!"

Aymee gave him a hug and Hagrid rubbed her back. She usually wasn't the kind to easily give hugs to stranger like that, but Hagrid had this kind and warm aura that immediately made her comfortable with him. Kingsley greeted Hagrid more soberly, then they left.