Chapter 15 : Aymee gets all 'mist'erious

For the next month, Aymee could feel the tension between the houses grow as the excitement reached its height.

Perhaps a week after passing out the lists of participants, a parchment announcing the first trial passed among the students. It was the Slytherins who were in charge of the first trial and that of the first years was to take place on October 31, the night of Halloween.

"Overnight?" Aymee wondered.

"Yeah," Megan replied. "Arvel explained everything to me during Charms. Basically, the test is to spend the whole night in the corridors. At three o'clock in the morning, we should be in the trophy room."

"At three o'clock!?" Rosalie exclaimed. "But I'm going to fall asleep in the hallway, it's impossible!"

"Then give up," said Penelope tit for tat. "Either way, it's all a huge waste of time! In addition, there is class the next day. No no no! That's a very bad idea!"

"...You nerd," Megan said before turning away and Astou stifled a laugh.

During the rest of the month, the girls organized themselves to learn all sorts of spells that seemed practical to them.

To prepare for the trial as best she could, Aymee sometimes went out after curfew to find out what the dangers of this trial were since she figured it wouldn't be one if it were easy. Aymee quickly understood that professors prowled in the corridors, without forgetting Filch, Mrs Norris and many ghosts, including Peeves. The latter two would be particularly problematic. Three nights before the test, Aymee also realized that the paintings could very well denounce her if a teacher asked them.

We must therefore find a way to turn invisible...

Thus, Aymee had been looking for a solution for three days. They were now the day of Halloween, but there was still no solution. She hadn't found any spell that could make her disappear completely. In history class, since she couldn't follow what Professor Binns was saying anyway, Aymee rummaged through the various spell books she had found in the libraries of the Ravenclaw common room. There was one who talked about bewitching clothes to make them camouflage well in the background, but that was not what she was looking for. For that, she had only to dress in black.

Coming out of class, Aymee was slightly morose. All she had to do was dress all in black and hide in a dark corner. Beside her, Émilie and Rosalie were discussing the lesson they had just had.

"Rosalie, you really need to be more focused than that!"

"But I can't help it!" complained the redhead. "As soon as he speaks I fall asleep! The way he speaks is too misty."

Aymee jumped up and grabbed Rosalie by the shoulders.

"What did you say!?"

"I, am I falling asleep?" stammered Rosalie.

"No, after!"

"T- The way he speaks is too misty?"

"That's it!"

Aymee jumped out of joy, dragging Rosalie with her. That was the solution! Mist! How hadn't she thought of that sooner?

Aymee frolicked the rest of the evening, very happy. Of course, she did some tests to make sure her plan was indeed working. For example, she would surround herself with Mist then stick her tongue out at any student. Much to her delight, no one seemed to notice her. On the other hand, if she made noise or touched someone, the Mist did indeed loose effectiveness. She would have to be very careful about that.

Aymee was particularly happy the rest of the day, which particularly annoyed her classmates. It stirred up the spirit of competition between the students quite a bit, but fortunately, those belonging to her house weren't particularly affected: they had all figured out a strategy.