IV - Seeking Forgiveness

"To err is human; to forgive, divine."

- Alexander Pope

October 29th, 2019

"You're avoiding her."

"I'm not."

"Jae."

"I'm not avoiding her."

Eunkyung set down her chopsticks. She snapped her fingers to draw my attention. "Jae. You've been cooped up in your room since last week. You haven't attended Laurent's class, and you've been home before dinner every day."

"The project is basically done," I attempted to reason. "There's no point in seeing her if there's nothing we have left to work on."

"Your presentation for the EP?"

"Our parts are sectioned off. We both know what to do."

"And it doesn't it all bother you that you haven't seen her in a week?"

"We didn't exactly part on the best of terms."

"You're telling me." Eunkyung leaned back in her chair. "I was the one who drove you two back, remember? I could literally feel the tension on my skin."

"So then you know why I'm avoid— I mean, not purposefully looking for her."

"I can guess," Eunkyung replied. "But you still haven't actually told me."

"I..." I bit my lip. "I told her about the car accident."

"What did she say?"

I hesitantly shrugged. "I didn't really give her the chance to properly respond."

"What did you say?" Eunkyung tried.

"I asked her if she got what she was looking for."

"Word for word?"

"Word for word," I repeated.

She sighed. "You know that she's just trying to help, right?"

"By prying into every aspect of my life? That's not exactly helpful."

Eunkyung rolled her eyes. "I understand. Really, I do. But you wouldn't have been responsive otherwise. Am I wrong?"

"I—"

"You're not exactly the most open person, Jae. And I'm saying that as your sister." Eunkyung pointed her chopsticks at me. "She has good intentions."

"Yeah. I know."

"Then you know why she's that pushy."

"Does the end really justify the means?"

Eunkyung raised a brow. "In this case? Yes."

I let out a long sigh. "This is the part where I tell you that I'm thankful for your wisdom, right?"

Eunkyung smirked. "It's good to know that we have such good communication."

"I hate you."

"I love you too." Eunkyung pointed at the plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. "Now pass me the plate before I actually start scolding you."

[;]

As I laid in my room staring up at the ceiling, I toyed with my phone. I tossed it up into the air, caught it, and flicked the screen up to check for any notifications. Not that I expected there to be any. Eunkyung had already left for work. And she also informed me that she wouldn't be home until late tonight.