XIX - Reunion

"She saved me."

- Son Jaemin

November 16th, 2020

I awoke to someone gently shaking me.

"Wake up, Jae."

The voice brought a rush of memories flooding back to me. Argument with Eunkyung. Leaving the house. Calling, seeing Lux again. At her house. In her guest room.

I shot up and came face-to-face with Lux. She was dressed in silk, white pajamas, her blonde hair tied up into a ponytail.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." She ruffled my messy morning hair. "Go and clean up. Lunch should be ready by the time you finish."

"Wait, lunch?"

"It's 11:30." She giggled and made for the door.

"Oh..." I stretched. "Thank you, Lux," I said once I finished.

"No problem." The door clicked shut behind her.

[;]

"How have you been, Jae?" Pieter asked as he set down his glass.

"I've... I've been better," I replied, surprised with how honest I was. "Things are a little difficult right now."

Concern immediately made its way onto Augatha's features. Her brows furrowed as she stared at me, clearly worried. "Is there anything that we can do to help?"

I vehemently declined. "No, no. I... I don't think anything you can offer me would solve the problem." I rubbed the back of my neck. "It's something that I need to fix myself."

"Are you sure?" Augatha pressed.

"I—"

"Mother," Lux interrupted. "I think that's enough." She smiled slightly at me. "If he says he doesn't want the help, then we should respect that, right?"

"You're right, Lux," Pieter said with a nod. He finished the rest of his drink and stood up. "Well, you're welcome to stay in the house as long as you need, Jae."

I bowed my head. "Thank you."

"Anytime." Pieter checked his watch, then turned to Augatha. "Well, we have a meeting in an hour." He waved to me. "Have a good day, Jae."

I waved back. "You too." I smiled, watching as the two walked away.

Lux tapped my shoulder. "Let's go to the gardens." She twirled on her heel and began to walk towards the door to the gardens.

[;]

The gardens of the Crownguard estate were more than extravagant. It was closer to a small forest, in all honesty, than a garden. I followed behind Lux as she navigated the greenery, we walked past the cerulean waterfall and climbed up to the tree that stood at the height of the waterfall. Beneath the canopy of the tree was a bench that overlooked the entirety of the gardens.

Lux sat on the bench and patted the empty space beside her. "Sit."

I sat beside her.

"Talk to me," she said.

"...About?"

She sighed. "Everything, Jae. Tell me everything." Lux turned to face me, her blue eyes alight with an indescribable emotion. "You and I haven't talked in pretty much a year. I want to know what you've been up to. And I'm sure that you're curious about what I've done too, right?"