CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
The End is a New Beginning

What was the Avatar without the ability to bend all four elements and serve as a symbol of balance? That was a question running through everyone's head as they waited inside a building, waiting to see if Katara, the greatest healer of all time, had the ability to bring back Korra's bending once again. Ami, however, was in the room with her Gran Gran and Korra as several healing variations were attempted of the Southern Water Tribe girl as she sat in front of Katara. Hope was leaving her face each time Katara would try something new until...

"Korra, I'm sorry, but there's nothing else I can try."

Ami looked up at Korra to see the girl's cyan eyes wide. Fear was hidden in them as Ami gently took her hands. Korra glanced at her, calming down slightly at tears welled in her eyes. Katara put her hand on her shoulder before guiding Ami out of the room to give Korra some time to breathe. They started to head to the room where everyone was waiting to hear about Korra's condition. Even Korra's parents were in the room, waiting to hear the news.

As Katara opened the door and Ami walked in, all eyes snapped up. Ami looked away instantly, not wanted to be the one who broke the news about Korra. She rubbed her arm as her Gran Gran placed a gentle hand on her shoulder once more, shaking her head at the group who all looked shocked. "But, there has to be something you can do. You're the greatest healer." Lin Beifong stood up, eyeing Katara and Ami, worrying for not just Korra, who she had grown rather fond of, but also the balance of the whole world. The world needed their Avatar.

Ami sighed, glancing at her mother and her freinds as Ikki ran towards her. Two tiny arms wrapped around her in an attempt to comfort her. And, it worked. Ami kneeled down before hugging Ikki back. She sighed deeply before looking up at her mother. "Gran Gran did her best. She tried so many techniques. Still, nothing worked." Ami stated softly, looking away as she stood up straight.

Katara looked around the room to see the despair on everyone's faces. "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. Korra can still airbend, but her connection to the other elements have been severed." She finished for her granddaughter, a hand finding it's way to the necklace upon her neck.

Korra came in seconds later and the air was thick with tension as everyone stared at her. Ami looked away, feeling guilty. She felt like maybe, just maybe, she could have done something if she was there. However, she understandably put her siblings, father, and stepmother. Tenzin glanced over at Korra, holding Meelo in his arms still. "It's going to be okay, Korra." He said to the girl. He, after all, had seen Korra's resilience and knew she could overcome anything.

Korra's brows furrowed as she let those words sink in. Looking away, she inhaled deeply heading towards the back door to go out. "No, it's not." She concluded, grabbing her coat in the process. Leaving, Ami quickly followed her. "Ami, please go away. Go back home to Republic City. Get on with your life and get a new best friend. I'm not the Avatar anymore and you don't have to pretend that you wanted to be my friend, anymore." Korra stated bitterly. Ami had never seen Korra look so dark and angry. It sent chills down her spine.

Still, staring at Korra for a moment, she shook her head. Her fists clenched as Korra's words replayed in her mind. "Korra, I'm not here because you're the Avatar. I'm here because I love you. I love you more than a best friend should. I love you so much that it keeps me up at night." Ami confessed, looking at the shell of the girl she once knew. She wasn't going to let Korra just give up though. She wasn't going to allow Korra to just leave her after all their history.

"I- I can't do this with you, Ami."

Ami's breath hitched as Korra rode off on Naga. Tenzin walked outside, seeing his daughter stand alone for a long moment. "Ami, we need to be patient with her, as we were with you. It will take time for her to accept what has happened." Ami nodded at his words and stated in the distance for a long time. However, she couldn't just be patient. She always was. This time, she was going to go after Korra. Running after Korra, she went to a place that only they knew. Somewhere they snuck off to constantly as kids.

Reaching there, she witnessed Korra go into the Avatar state, bending each element with a power she had never seen before. Her eyes widened as Korra turned around to look at her. She tried to look away sheepishly before glancing back up as she heard snow crunching rapidly. Korra tackled her into hug, knocking them both down. Ami grinned, hugging back before Korra cupped her cheek. "I love you too, Ami." She said, kissing Ami deeply. Pulling away, Korra placed her hand on Ami's forehead. "I'm going to return what he took from you." She whispered before closing her eyes for a moment. Ami watched in confusion as Korra entered the Avatar state as she returned Ami's bending.

Ami felt energy return to her as she looked at Korra. She felt tears leave her eyes for a moment as realization of what Korra did filled her. "Did you return my bending?" She whispered as Korra nodded at her. Ami pulled out a piece of meteor that her grandmother passed down to her before metal bending it. She looked at Korra with a wide grin, quickly moving over to her and pulling her into another kiss, tears flowing down her cheeks. Korra kissed back before pulling away softly.

/ BOOK ONE COMPLETE.