Chapter Thirty-six

Corey grabbed her hair. This is utter madness. Her best friend cannot turn into these things, was all she was thinking.

Gretchen shook her head and slowly tried to sit upright, "no... I can't... I don't want to,"

"I'm afraid it is what it is," Audrey chimed in and shot an approaching vampire. "When we vampires drink from humans, our DNA enters their bloodstream. It takes two days for the DNA to leave the body. If the human body dies within those two days, they become like us. That's why she wrung your neck, to turn you,"

Gretchen wiped her tears and watched as the pale faces fell to the ground. Tomorrow the sun will rise, and those bodies will turn to dust. "They're acting like zombies," she shared.

Anika crawled over to Gretchen and held her hand, "you'll be okay. Look at all these vampires helping us. Being a monster, is a choice. It's so for humans and it's so for vampires. You don't have to turn into that," she pointed at all the blood-sucking creatures chasing the vehicle.

Gretchen nodded her head. Her friend is onto something, she looked into Anika's worry-filled eyes. "What if it's hard? What if losing my humanity comes easy?"

Corey shook her head. "We're good people. That couldn't happen. No,"

Wesley cleared his throat, the girls looked at him. "Gretchen is hard. It's hard to hold onto one's sanity and humanity. Most of us didn't even start like this, we used to kill recklessly. The guilt ate at us until it didn't eat us anymore. Some vampires believe that's a good sign, I did too for the longest time. But I was wrong. When I realised that I don't feel bad for killing humans anymore, I knew I had become cold. That's why I had to move to a town where there weren't any humans to hurt."

Gretchen lightly stroked the wound and looked into Corey's eyes. "Kill me, when I die,"

Corey shook her head. Tears dampening her cheeks, "how can I ever do such a thing, you can't expect that of me,"

Gretchen's lip quivered as she battled more tears, "I'm scared, Corey, I don't want to fight with myself about what and who I should be. I don't want to hurt the two of you or anyone for that matter,"

"Shit!" The driver spat out. Everyone rose to their feet when the vehicle stopped. Some vampires laid spikes in the middle of the road, "we have to turn around,"

They looked back the way they came, vampires pilled up in the street. "How are we going to get through?"

The vampires came speeding towards the vehicle. All that could be heard were the loud gunshots, but it wasn't enough to keep them away from the truck. They pushed against the truck, Corey held onto Anika. They both already knew that it is the end of their lives.

"Girls!" Audrey called out, "don't cower. We need you to start shooting!"

Although they were both terrified, they agreed. They picked up their pistols which they disregarded and aimed at the pale faces with their shaky hands. Anika fired first, missed, but that didn't discourage her. She tried again and gave the vampire a flesh wound against his neck. It angered him, but in less than a second, the scar disappeared. Anika gulped, her throat dried up. If you were going to kill a vampire you will have to aim and shoot perfectly. Other shots are useless.

Corey struggled as well, she managed to shoot a vampire in her heart. She remembered the tips they were given. Shoot them in the head or the heart. That will do. The vampire fell to the ground in a loud thump. Then it dawned on her, that was a human at some point. Just because she's a vampire doesn't mean that she's not a human. She killed a person, guilt washed over her. She threw her gun down, couldn't do it anymore. It's the same as killing an innocent human being.