Chapter Sixteen

I now had the strength to go home, well, to the home of the man who was so friendly to me. I have no home, I don't believe that I could return to mama.

Mama despised monsters, she would despise me too. I've become the one thing she has tried her whole life protecting me against and now many mothers are fighting to protect their kids against me. I'm a monster mother, and that thought kills me much more than Count Dracula did because being a monster means being ruthless.

Would I have to be an immortal, ruthless beast forever? Would I have to feed on humans? Something I used to be not long ago?

Mama, I know you're not here with me right now, but I long for you. See the thing is, I'm lost without you, I'm scared and I feel so alone. I used to snuggle up next to you on scary nights, you used to conceal me from the evil that lurked in darkness. Your arms were the safest place in the universe, and all I want is to he curled up in your arms mama. At least just once.

You used to make me soup whenever I was sick and kissed me on my forehead and told me everything is fine and it's going to be okay. You said that a lot whenever I cried for father mama, can you tell me that everything is going to he fine at least just once?

I stood up and threw the man's body to the side as I wiped my blood stained lips. If only I could wipe this sudden shame that came afterwards off so easily. I'm no God mama, yet I took a life. I deserve to be punished, don't I?

I could still remember the way back to the little white cabin with the flower pots sitting on the window pane. The white little cabin with its brown roof, situated under the heavy shade of the trees. My heart was filled with warmth and joy as I saw the little home. I rushed to the door and pushed it open but as soon as I tried to take a step inside I was violently pushed outside.

The push was so hard that it knocked me to the ground. I laid on the ground as I looked at the door.

'I'll be off to Charlotte's home for the book club, Nicolene, come lock the door behind me and remember never to let strangers into the home. Vampires cannot enter a home uninvited Nicolene.'

I thought back to what mama once told me many times as I grew up. I used to think mama was being ridiculous and overprotective but I always strangely obeyed that silly little rule of her. So that's it huh mama? I'm a vampire now? I can not enter a home uninvited?

At this point, I had nothing to do, so I decided to sit in a tree and wait for Grant to return, which he did after a few hours that dragged on and on.

He bellowed when he saw me sitting in a tree and proceeded towards the door, "what on earth are you doing in a tree?"

He entered his home and I jumped from the tree and landed on my feet. I still felt energised and strong, this strength soared throughout my entire body, gripping my limps, making me want to paint the town red. Red, the blood of the poor innocent civilians.

I walked up to the door and leaned against it. He turned and looked at me, shock overtook him. His eyes were wide, his legs trembling and his actions alarmed me, scared me.

"What is it?"

"Your eyes... They're red, you're a vampire, "

Silence between us. He ran deeper into the cabin and returned with my crucifix and held it out before him as a way to protect him.

"Grant... What are you doing?"

It was I who was trembling now, the one who feared for their life.

"Of course you're a vampire, I should have known. Leave immediately you vile demon!"

I've always known words can hurt, this I've heard a lot from my elders, that's why mama told me to be careful with my tongue. And that's what I've done all my life, and so it was with all around me. To have been called a vile demon has been the most terrible thing I've ever heard and it broke me. It shattered me like a broken mirror and like the pieces of a broken mirror, it cuts deeply.

I was taken completely back, it wasn't anything I was ready to hear and what's painful was that it's the truth. Mama would approve.

He dropped the crucifix on the ground and looked at me with apologetic eyes, "I...I...I didn't mean that I did not mean to offend you, Nicolene, "

By the time he apologised tears already travelled down my cheeks. We just looked at each other and he was still afraid, that much was clear but h took a small step closer to me. It surprised me, honestly.

He slowly came took small steps towards me until we were a breath away from each other on different sides of the door. He gulped and took my ice-cold hand in his warm one and looked into my monstrous eyes, "promise not to kill me?"

He was asking for much, I'm not entirely sure if I even am a vampire but I wouldn't even trust myself around him. I closed my eyes, mama raised an angel, not a demon Grant.

"I promise, "

He left my hand and took a step backwards and looked into my face, "well, um... Nicolene... I welcome you into my home, "

He appeared very calm but his heart rate told a different story. He was terrified. I've never heard a heartbeat that fast. I was nervous myself, nervous for both of us.

I inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly and took my first. My first step to my new life, a terrifying new life where I'm no longer Nicolene the innocent church girl, but I'd be the girl who slaughters the innocent church girl.