Chapter 17: What Happened Here?

~~Recap~~

"Alright then. I'll stay back in case you fail. And guys-" she created a portal for the heroes to walk through. But none of them moved even a single inch. They waited for her to complete her sentence before they jumped into action. "-Don't fail." She finally finished. A bit worried about what's going to happen next, but still putting up a brave face, the masked teenagers entered the portal.

~~Recap Over~~

As the heroes came out of the flashy white light, they were expecting to see the villain in front of them or maybe behind them but boy were they wrong. Because no one was in sight.

They were still on top of the Eiffel tower. But everything was completely different. The last time they were here, the scenery was beautiful. The weather was amazing. Now, it's the complete opposite. The sky wasn't it's usual bright blue, but instead, it was dark gray. No ray of sunlight could pass through the thick gloomy clouds that covered the entire city. Curiosity struck as they looked around.

The city was dark and abandoned. No sign of life anywhere. The only source of light in the city, were the blue and purple lightening running across the clouds above them. The parks were completely destroyed. The buildings were cracked, and roofless. Giant holes filled the roads. And the top few floors of the tall buildings were occupied by fires.

The heroes were in shock and horror. Bad thoughts were all up in their heads about what must have happened. Ladybug, still trying to process the current state of her beloved city's future, took a few steps forward and examined the area.

"This is worse than I could ever imagine." Carapace confessed.

The others nodded in agreement.

"But we'll fix it. We always do. All we have to do is find the person responsible for this, free the akuma, and use my lucky charm to fix everything. Simple as that." Ladybug tried to give them hope while forming her hand into a fist and sounding confident in the team. But deep down, she was scared as hell.

The others exchanged looks still hiding the secret about the akuma. The one secret that Marinette doesn't know. But why isn't anyone telling her?  They passed an awkward weak smile at her adorable enthusiasm and came forward. As they came closer, the tower began to lean in the same direction since it couldn't sustain their weight. Apparently, Vexer didn't even let the Eiffel tower stand on its ground. She had tempered with the national monument already. And as it toppled over, Ladybug used her yoyo to swing out of the way with Chat behind her as he used his extended baton and lifted himself to a safe distance. Whereas, the others ran and slid through while barely surviving the fall.

They turned around to see the Eiffel tower in pieces. Their beloved landmark was completely destroyed. With no other reason to stand around, they begin to walk around the city to find their enemy.

The more land they covered, more destruction was visible. A few cars were upside down and in quite an unnatural parking position. Others were pushed inside nearby buildings with their rear two wheels sticking out. A few lucky cars only had a cracks on their windshields and broken side mirrors lying on the ground. The heroes had to be quick on their feet and vigilant not to stumble on any of them. As they walked farther and farther, they reach the end of the street that connected to two other roads from either side.

A small faded light flickered. As they looked up, they spotted a dim red traffic light lighting up the street the best it could. It was perhaps the only thing somewhat working here. They looked around each street to their left and right. They don't know what exactly but they hoped it could have helped them in their investigation. A sign of life, movement, a sound, ANYTHING...