Chapter 9

Stephen Sharpe was working late in his office at the American Dream when suddenly, he felt the temperature of the air go down by drastically, but all he did was roll his eyes.

"You know Jordan, if you want to keep our cover, then maybe you should avoid using your powers to make an entrance." Stephen said as his boss entered the room.

"I'll keep that in mind Stephen." Jordan said.

"What are you doing here anyways? I thought that you were still busy traveling the world." Stephen said.

"A complication came up. One I will explain downstairs. Summon the others. This is an issue that requires all of our attention." Jordan said and Stephen nodded as they opened up the secret passage to the tunnels below and headed down.

"Well, this is a sight for sore eyes. When was the last time we did this?" Larry Crock, aka Sportsmaster, asked as he and his wife Paula White, also called Tigress, entered the lair to find the rest of the Injustice Society gathered there.

"Not long enough. Though I'm hoping that with Jordan back, maybe I'll have a football coach that makes it to the end of the season." Anya Bowin, the new Fiddler, said coldly, since she'd always thought lowly of those two.

"It's not our fault that those coaches you hired were idiots." Paula said.

"Enough. The whole point of establishing ourselves in Blue Valley was to avoid raising suspicion. But if you keep killing off coaches, eventually someone will catch on." Henry said, since he had the same view of his teammates that Anya did.

"Jordan, perhaps you can tell us why you called this meeting before someone kills the other." William Zarick, aka the Wizard, said.

"The reason I have returned earlier than anticipated is because the timetable for our plans have been accelerated." Jordan said.

"Why? There was nothing wrong with our current time table." Stephen asked.

"That was before Dr. Ito and I discovered a problem that could threaten our plans." Henry said.

"What problem?" Larry asked.

"Starman's staff has become active. My instruments detected its energy signature." Dr. Ito said.

"So what? Even if that's true, it's not like the staff poses a threat to us." William said.

"As usual, you're short sighted. The staff only awakens if it's found a worthy bearer. That means that there's a new Starman out there. And that is problematic." Henry said.

"So what? Even if that's true, it's not like they know where we are." Paula said.

"That's the other problem. The energy signature of the staff was detected here in Blue Valley. It's here which means so is the new Starman." Dr. Ito said they all immediately understood the repercussions of what he was saying.

"So, how should we proceed?" William asked.

"I say we kill him." Larry said.

"And if we knew where exactly he, if it even is a he, was, we would. But unfortunately, the staff's energy readings are not strong enough for me to track, nor do they appear long enough or consistently for me to track either. All we know is that whoever it is that is possession of the staff is here in Blue Valley, which puts Project New America at risk." Jordan said.

"So what should we do? We can't exactly go door to door and kill everyone in the house until we find the staff. That draws too much attention." Anya said.

"Which is why Sportsmaster and Tigress are grounded." Jordan said.

"Excuse me?" Larry asked as he and Paula looked outraged.