Chapter 13

"Hey Pat, can I talk to you for a second?" Courtney asked that night after dinner.

"Yeah sure, what's up?" Pat asked as Courtney led him up to her room.

"What was he like?" Courtney asked and Pat smiled, since he should've known that Courtney would ask him that and didn't even need to ask who she was talking about.

"Sylvester was a great man. Kind, honorable, courageous. In fact, I see a lot of him in you, especially now that I know that you really are his daughter." Pat said.

"Do you find it awkward being married to my mom now that you know that she's your boss's ex-fling?" Courtney asked and Pat shook his head.

"No. Maybe if Sylvester and your mom had actually dated I would, but now, I just see this as another way to honor Sylvester's memory, since now I have the chance to help raise his daughter." Pat said and Courtney smiled, since she was liking Pat more and more and honestly, he was her favorite parent right now since all his attitude in regards to her being a hero were simply due to him being protective and since he'd lived this life before, she could understand his concerns.

"So, tell me more about him? And I mean Sylvester, not Starman." Courtney said.

"I know. Honestly, I'd known Sylvester since he was around your age actually Court. I was 20 when his parents hired me to be their family's driver and mechanic. Sylvester was 15 when he first started out, taking down some criminals that were threatening his parents and I helped as best I could." Pat said as he began to tell Courtney stories about her father, stories that honestly helped Courtney make sense of a lot about herself, since it sounded like her father was a lot like her. Something that made her very happy, but also wishing she could've met him herself.

"You okay?" Pat asked her.

"Yeah, it's just, after hearing all these stories, I kind of wish that I'd been able to meet him myself." Courtney said and Pat nodded in understanding.

"I get that hearing stories about him from me isn't the same thing, but Court, I can tell you for certain that if he were here, Sylvester would be so proud of you." Pat said.

"I hope so. But now this mission isn't just about stopping the ISA, it's about getting justice for the JSA, especially my dad." Courtney said.

"I know. But Courtney, this just means that I'm going to be pushing your training even harder since Sylvester would never forgive me if I let something happen to you." Pat said and Courtney nodded, still wishing that she could've met her father in person, since honestly, it felt nice to finally be able to let go of anger at a father she never actually had, though instead it was now focused on the people who'd taken her actual father from her.

A few days after school, Pat had Courtney, Yolanda and Beth at his shop, since that was where they'd decided to setup an interim headquarters, mainly because they couldn't keep going all the way out to the Old JSA base everyday and they'd decided to establish the cover of the three girls actually working for the shop to explain why they were there everyday.

Anyways, while Beth was mainly sitting on the sidelines and playing around with her new goggles, Pat had Courtney and Yolanda sparring with each other, Courtney without her staff and Yolanda without her claws, since he wanted them to be able to fight without weapons or powers, plus, it it would be a good way for Yolanda to learn to control her claws so they didn't pop out whenever she panicked and so far, they'd been doing well.

"Huh, that's interesting." Beth said as she worked with her goggles.

"What's interesting?" Pat asked as he signalled to Courtney and Yolanda to press pause on their sparring.