Chapter 21

When Courtney and Yolanda came downstairs the next morning, they were surprised to find Pat and Barbara waiting for them.

"Mom, I thought you'd be at work?" Courtney asked.

"It's Saturday Courtney. I can be there a little late, especially when I think there's a talk the four of us need to have. One I think you'd rather have before Mike wakes up." Barbara said.

"Were you two listening in on us last night?" Yolanda asked.

"No, because we didn't have too. I had a feeling that after what happened yesterday, Courtney would decide she's ready to take that step with you and it sounds like I was right. Which means that we need to talk about some new and improved house rules to make sure that you both respect everyone else in this house." Pat said.

"We will." Courtney said.

"Courtney, this is more about giving us some peace of mind. We know that you and Yolanda would not betray our trust like that, but you're also teenagers, which means that we need to establish some guidelines." Barbara said as Courtney and Yolanda sat down on the couch.

"Okay, let's get this over with. What are your rules?" Courtney asked.

"You two are not to get too 'intimate' with each other while there are other people in the same room as you, since that would just be awkward for all of us." Pat said.

"And what would be too intimate?" Yolanda asked.

"Yolanda, you didn't just ask that." Courtney said, grimacing at the thought of what her parents were about to say.

"Making out, french kissing, anything that does not involve you two being fully clothed." Barbara said.

"Mom." Courtney said, blushing at the thought of that and so was Yolanda and Courtney could tell that they were both having the same thought. Not thinking about the other the way her mom had just described.

"We wouldn't do that in public anyways." Yolanda assured her.

"Good. Rule two is that you two are not to be in each other's rooms alone after 9pm unless we've given permission for it." Barbara said.

"And if we catch you two breaking that rule, then we'll implement another rule of no being in your rooms alone without your doors being open and nightly bed checks." Pat said.

"Great. Suddenly we're five again." Courtney said as she leaned back on the couch.

"Look Court, if Yolanda was still on speaking terms with her parents, things might be different, but the fact is that you're both living under the same roof, which means that we have to take extra precautions to make sure that it's pleasant for everyone, not just you two." Barbara said.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I can't feel like I'm a child." Courtney said.

"Technically Courtney, you are. And be glad we're not being stricter about it." Barbara said.

"And the final rule, which is one that I don't think any of us are going to be comfortable hearing me say, is that if you two do end up, taking that step, please don't do it when you're here, or if you have too, then don't do it when anyone else is home." Pat said.

"You're right, I never want to hear you talk about that again." Courtney said as Yolanda looked mortified.

"Look, at least it's done and over with." Barbara said.

"Okay, now can we act like Pat never brought that up." Courtney said.

"Like ever." Yolanda agreed.