Chapter 7

Though I really don't know how to do my job, I am still excited knowing that I'll be doing something far from what I used to do.

Hindi naman ako nagrereklamo na ito ang magiging trabaho ko. For me, it's sort of a new experience. From holding inks, needles, tubes and many more, I'll be holding bed sheets, linens, feather duster and such!

Sinubukan kong manood sa internet kung paano ang dapat gawin sa pagpapalit ng mga kobre kama. I even tried it at home and changed both my bedsheet and Eve's but it didn't turn out really well. I still need more practice and that's what I'm gonna do today.

Sana lang ay makisama sa akin ang araw na ito ngayon.

"Good morning, Mrs. Smith!" I greeted as soon as I entered her office.

The strong scent of black coffee lingered in my nostril. Hinanap ko iyon at nakitang ang isang tasa ng kape ay nasa ibabaw ng table niya sa mismong tabi ng kaniyang laptop.

A bright smile appeared on her red painted lips when she raised her head. She looks really snobbish and strict but she's kind to me. Hanggang ngayon, gusto ko pa rin magtaka sa sinabi ni Eve na masama ang ugali nito. Siguro, may nagawang hindi maganda iyong kasamahan niya sa The Brooklyn Dinner dahilan para magalit sa kaniya ang ginang.

"Good morning, Thalia. You're too early for your first day..." She chuckled. "Hmm, excited?"

I faked a smiled.

"Kinda. It feels good to see such new environment."

"That's great to hear. If that's the case then, I'll bring you to Mrs. Jones. She's the head of the Housekeeping Department. She will decide which part of the hotel you will be assigned."

Tumango ako at muli siyang nginitian. Nasasabik man ay hindi ko pa rin maiwasan ang kabahan. Sana lang talaga ay hindi ako pumalpak. Just in case I failed, sana ay magawaan ko agad ng paraan.

Sinundan ko si Mrs. Smith nang lumabas na siya sa pintuan. We rode the elevator and she pressed the fifth floor. Masiyadong malayo sa opisina niya kung tutuusin.

Isang malawak at mahabang pasilyo ang nilakaran namin. We stopped in front of the door where the words "Authorized Personel Only" are hanging. She knocked on the door for three times and opened it right away. Pumasok siya kaya naman agad rin akong sumunod. I saw a woman probably in her 40’s fixing the collar of her white polo.

From the huge mirror she's looking at, she bore her eyes into our direction.

"Good morning, Mrs. Smith..." she greeted politely and then looked at me. "And this is?"

"Good morning, Mrs. Jones. This is Thalia. She will be replacing Kendra."

Her eyes widened a bit. "Oh! This is her? She's pretty. Are you sure you want this job? You could be a model or an actress to be honest."

I smiled. Ang aga-aga mangbola ni madam.

"Yes, I want this job." No, I don't really like it but I'm up for some changes in my life right now.

I don't mind.

Besides, I don't want to use Dad's money anymore. Kung gagamitin ko man 'yon, siguradong emergency ang magiging dahilan. But for my own needs and caprices, I bet not.

Hinabilin ako ni Mrs. Smith kay Mrs. Jones hindi kalaunan. I am left alone with her now as she gives me my uniform. It's plain white slacks and polo. Kagaya lang rin ng suot niya. Ang pagkakaiba lang, long sleeve ang sa kaniya habang ang sa akin ay short. It's understandable since she's the head of this department.

"Kendra was assigned on the 40th floor. I will assign you there, too. And since you already have the experience, I'll also give you the permission to clean the Penthouse every night. It's where the owner of this hotel usually stays in..." She glanced at me as if she's checking if I'm paying attention to her.