Chapter Thirteen

I was sitting in Travis's office- or Mr Harrington's office now we were on school grounds- as he was in the principal's office with my uncle, the police and CPS. They had been gone an hour and every second of that I had contemplated running. Unfortunately, Preston and Blake had been appointed my prison guards and I was now trapped between them on Travis's leather couch. They had tried to engage in conversation with me multiple times but my head was too busy searching for a way to get away from them so I could run. But there wasn't so it left me with the only alternative of letting them take me away, then running from the group home they would no doubt stick me in. I wish Corey was here. He was the only one that seemed to be on my side, he would probably help me escape.

Prestons hands pulled me into his side before covering my ears. I wondered what the hell he was doing until I heard the commotion on the other side of the door. I heard my name being screamed over and over while Tom fought the police officers that were taking him away. Good! The evil sadistic bastard was finally getting what he deserved. I hope they throw the book at him. All my bravado left me as a hard kick to the door had me shrinking back into the couch with a whimper.

"You're in there aren't you, you little bitch!" He screamed through the door. "Just you wait, I'll be out on bail in no time. Then I'm coming for you!" Another loud bang hit the door before the commotion carried on down the hallway as they led him away.

The guys turned to hug me just as the door opened and in walked Travis and a brown haired woman in a grey pencil skirt and white blouse. A CPS badge, pinned to the breast pocket. She was pretty in a mousy way with kind brown eyes.

She came over to the couch and kneeled down in front of me.

"Hi Scarlett, I'm Jenny from Child Protective Services. I'm sorry you had to hear that, we were hoping he was going to go quietly but he had other ideas. Mr Harrington has filled me in on your case-" I didn't miss the look she threw him over her shoulder. It would seem Jenny had a thing for Travis and who could blame her, he was handsome. And looking at her up close, she did seem like the type of person I could see him with. That's why it hurt so much when he smiled softly back at her.

"Can we just get this over with and leave now? You can fill me in on the details in the car."

Travis and Jenny looked taken aback by my eagerness to leave. Travis looked hurt even. And by the way Preston and Brent had stiffened at my sides, they felt similarly to Travis.

"I've been waiting to be taken away for a long time and every extra second I have to wait is torture. I just want to rip the band aid off, you know?" Jenny's eyes softened in understanding. I didn't dare look at the other three in the room. I was emotionally wiped and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Okay then," Jenny raised to her feet as nimble as a dancer. Just another thing I could be jealous of, "Let's get going then, shall we?" I struggled to my feet with the help of Brent, not even a fifth as graceful as Jenny had.

"I'll give you a minute to say goodbye to your friends, Travis, can I speak to you outside for a moment please?" He looked like he wanted to argue but knew that it was too important to keep up appearances right now. I hated Jenny at that moment, for stealing my goodbye with him. But at least I had Brent and Preston.

Preston was first to pull me into a hug, his arms like steel bands around me and his chin resting on my head.

"I'll see you soon, beautiful. Just stay strong for a little while longer and we'll get it sorted out." Brent's body came up behind me, pressing against my back and sandwiching me in between them. Heat flooded my body making me wish I had more time to say goodbye to them but our moment was sure to be broken any second.