Prologue

PROLOGUE

Scarlett Age Five

I'm uncomfortable as I sit cross legged on the carpet of my latest psychiatrist, playing with the small wooden dollhouse that he keeps in his office. I'm uncomfortable because the floor is hard but also because he's asking about my friends. No one is supposed to know about them or how I go to see them.

"Tell me again, Scarlett, what happens when you go to sleep?" This doctor has a friendlier face than the rest. He has grey hair and beard and is always pushing his glasses up his nose so they don't fall off. It makes me giggle. If I had just stayed quiet I wouldn't be here now.

I shouldn't have told Momma when I first met my friends on my fifth birthday. She seemed happy for me at first but I guess she started to get worried when I just wanted to sleep all day so I could play with them. I loved them so much, they were all I could talk about. We had so much fun, I just wanted to be with them always. Just me and the five boys that live in the castle.

I once got to spend a whole three days with them after I had fallen out of my treehouse that summer. We got to have sleepovers, swim in the lake and spend so much time together without having to wake up. When I did eventually wake up, I was in the hospital and Momma was sad. She said she missed me and that I wasn't to scare her like that. I tried to tell that I was okay and that my friends had taken care of me.

Then Momma got really worried when she found me trying to jump out of my treehouse again. I told her it was okay, I was just visiting my friends and I would be back in a couple of days. That was when I started to see the doctors.

I didn't like the doctors. They told me that my friends weren't real, that I had a vivid imagination and I was just dreaming. They gave me special medicine that tasted yucky and made me feel sick, they said it would help with my dreams but all it did was take my friends away. I tried to hide the yucky stuff but Momma kept finding it and made her angry. I didn't want to make her angry, I loved my Momma. I just wanted to see my friends.

I don't see my friends anymore, which makes me really sad so they gave me more medicine to make me happy. They said it would help me make real friends once I forgot about my dream ones. But I didn't want to forget about them so I started lying and telling the doctors and my Momma what they wanted to hear. I told the doctor what I told him every week.

"Nothing. I see nothing."

They may have taken away my ability to dream and smile, but they won't take away my memories

********************************************************

Thank you for reading my latest chapter!  If you enjoyed this, please feel free to star, comment, message me or all of the above.  I'd love to hear from you :D <3