Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

My knees stung from my cargo pants rubbing against my skinned knees and my hand throbbed from the contact of my grazed palm on my crutch. I'd just left the girls bathroom, to clean myself up before seeing My Harrington as I knew that Hannah would have done a half assed job. I knew I was right the second I saw myself in the bathroom mirror and saw that my face was still smeared with blood, broken up in places by me tear tracks and the places where Hannah had rubbed the grazes and cuts with rubbing alcohol. Bruises marred my forehead and cheek, both sporting a nasty cut. The one on my forehead was the worst. It obviously needed stitches which once again showed Hannah's ineptitude of being a school nurse. She merely taped gauze to my head, ensuring that the tape was stuck in my hair. Evil bitch.

Pulling out the first aid kit that I now carried with me as standard due to the frequency of 'accidents' I had. I knew the butterfly stitches I had were enough to keep the gash in my forehead closed but I hoped they would at least last until lunch so I can call at the pharmacy down the road and get better ones. This one was sure to leave a scar. Just another one to add to the ever growing list.

I got the majority of the blood and dirt out of my hair and face before taping a fresh piece of gauze to my forehead and when I was done, I didn't look half as bad as I did. The bruises were getting angrier by the minute and my hoody which was stained with blood, dirt and coffee was beyond salvageable but other than that, I was pleased with the outcome.

Packing up my kit, I made my way to the school offices to find Mr Harrington.

His office was just past the reception desk to the left. Two doors before the principal's office. Lifting my hand to knock, the door swung open and I stood face to face with a shocked Mr Harrington.

"Scarlett! There you are, I was just coming to look for you" His eyes were assessing as he took in my appearance. "Hannah said that you'd left her office twenty minutes ago so I was a little worried when you didn't come straight here." I fidgeted awkwardly on my crutch under his intense gaze. It felt as if he was seeing into my soul.

"Sorry Sir, I went to the bathroom to clean myself up." He stepped to the side happy with my answer when a thought occurred to him.

"I thought Nurse Hannah was cleaning you up?" I snorted in response making him furrow his brow. Let him make of that what he will. Thankfully he refrained from questioning further although he didn't look best pleased. I limped past him, wincing at the stiffening in my joints as I took a seat. I'm going to have to take another pain pill tonight or i'm going in trouble tomorrow.

"How are you feeling, Miss Stevens?" Mr Harrington asked as he took his seat opposite me. His handsome face really was disarming. I just wanted to tell him everything so he could make it go away but I knew that was just a fallacy.

"Much better now, Sir. I had some Midol in my bag so I'm feeling a lot better." I plastered on my well practiced smile. The better he thought I was, the less chance there would be a report. I just had to get to Graduation.

"Why didn't Nurse H- You know what, never mind." He'd obviously come to a quick conclusion about her and her effectiveness. Shaking his head, he rose from his seat and headed over to a gym bag in the corner, pulling out a pale blue hooded Henley sweatshirt before throwing it over to me. "Here put this on, your sweatshirt is ruined."

So comfortable in his presence, I didn't think twice over pulling off my filthy hoody and stuffing it in my backpack. I did have a vest on underneath anyway. It was only when I heard his sharp intake of breath that I realized my faux pa. My scars.

Risking a glance over to him, I finally saw the look in his eyes that I had dreaded seeing earlier. He pitied me. Not wasting anytime, I grabbed the proffered sweatshirt and pulled it over my head hiding my shame from his watchful eyes. I dropped my head, unable to look him in the bear the weight of his stare any longer.