~9~ Bullheaded Woman

After Matthew took me to the lake, things started to simmer down. By the end of the week, the tension between us had lifted like fog in the early morning. He still barely says a word to me, and never smiles, but we're learning how to coexist. We stay out of the other's way, and when we have to speak to one another, we're civil.

I can't say I've forgiven him for spanking me, but I'm trying to get over it. I'm just making sure that my tongue behaves tomorrow morning at church.

Heaven knows I do NOT want to be bared in front of him. Last time was embarrassing enough. Can you just imagine the shame? The man hasn't even seen my ankles, let alone.....Goodness gracious, I can't fathom the indignity.

I worked tirelessly all week, burning the midnight oil, so the children and Matthew had respectable clothes to wear. I even got all of their underthings made.

When I handed Matthew his pile of new garments, I tucked his private clothes underneath. He knew they were there though, and I saw his neck turn red when he took them to the lean-to.

Sunday morning as we're getting ready for church, Remi comes out in her new dress. The beauty this girl possesses is staggering. If her mama looked anything like her, she was probably the most handsome woman in this world.

I was right about the lavender. Remi's green eyes look like emeralds sparkling against the soft purple hue. She acts like she's indifferent, but this is the first time since I've met her that she's held her head up high.

She needed a pretty dress.

When Matthew comes in, I have to still my heart. He is clean, his beard is shaven, and his clothes fit him perfectly. Today I can truly see what this man looks like, without the grunge and tattered clothes masking his true form.

The awful way my heart is beating is embarrassing. I swear if it thumps any louder, he will be able to hear it.

In my entire 21 years of life, I have NEVER met a man that equaled him. Heavens I wish I could be a true wife to him.

When he notices Remi, he does a double take. His eyes turn to softened butter as he looks at her. She has a proud smile across her lovely face, hoping her Pa will acknowledge the dress. So help me, he BETTER acknowledge her dress and how nice she looks, or I might go find myself a horse whip.

"If you ain't the prettiest young lady I ever did see," he says, in a warm, velvety tone.

She beams as she hugs his waist. "Do I look like her?" She asks, looking up and biting her lip nervously.

He nods, his eyes clouding over like the sky before a storm. She can immediately tell she shouldn't have said that, and let's him go, walking over to grab her Bible from her room.

"Ready?" He asks, glancing at me.

I smooth my hair once more and I help Jamie tuck in his shirt. Then we quickly follow behind the others.

As we're making our way to the church, Matthew leans in and whispers.

"Heed my warnin' woman. If you sass Mrs. Salders, you'll be takin' over my knee and bared tonight once the youngins go to bed. This one will hurt worsn' last time. I went easier on ya than I should'a last week."

I clear my throat and stare straight ahead. I'm sick of being talked to like a child.

"Just so there ain't no mistake, I need ya to tell me you hear my words and understand 'em."