2.Moments

But, fate has other plans of course.

...

The disgusting sting of nostalgia tastes like blood in her tongue as she started at the familiar yet different figure standing in front of her neighbouring house. He wore black ripped jeans and creamy white shirt wet in the rain revealed his chiselled chest with abs, the ruffled black hairs fallen in front his forehead which he constantly shuffling, all these make him look like an exact replica of Greek God. He got so much taller all these years, and beautiful to her heart contemplate with fury. She's watching everything from her terrace.

He is here.

He is here. It was like the world had stopped for a minute and time had gone still, the one person moving was him, ended soon as he went inside of his house.

She can't escape now. The one and only person she wanted to forget but failed, is standing in front of her causing her the same effects like before and even much more. And she can't escape from the feelings she hidden deep in the heart.

...

Sivagami asked Mrinalini to give the newspaper to the old man whom she address as Grandpa. Its Krithik grandparents, the old couple Krishna kumar and Tulsi living in the neighbourhood. Mrinalini twinges her face as she doesn't want to see him.

Eventually she did went to Krithik's house, hating her inner self which desperately want to adore his grown up face again. She thought it was silly, but now it seemed to be so dangerous.

The opening door welcome her with the old couple and him chatting and catching up, probably scolding Krithik for showing up after ages. She would've gone back, if grandmother Tulsi hadn't call her. She went inside though her mind screaming her to run away.

She hand down the newspaper to Krishna kumar and tried to walk away having the reliable amount of hope that he would remember her, maybe in some measures. But the hope was broken into million pieces as he gaze away from her moving to his own room.

"Had breakfast Mrinu?", the vague sound of Krishna kunar hitting her ears extricate from her trance.

"Oh yes, Grandpa. I'll go", Said Mrinalini distractedly and moved away to her home.

He really didn't remembered her, did he?

It has been almost 5 years, yet she felt terrible, that he didn't recalled her. It was her fault, she have to be immune to those effects he has on her. But when the mind and heart at battle, its always formidable to choose one!

...

"Oii"

Mrinalini turned back to see the shock of her life, Krithik standing before her, hands clasping inside the pockets of track pants. She greeted him with simple hello as she doesn't know what else to say. The rush of adrenaline is not helping either.

"Sorry, i didn't recognize you before. It's just I'm kinda tired and also you changed so much", he said gazing straight to her eyes, which is agonizingly sweet but she can't keep the eye contact as it does some terrible things like tachycardia and collywobbles.

"it's okay"

"So, How are you? How's life? It's been long time", he said.

This was so new. She didn't even know whether she liked these overwhelming feelings inside her.

"I...I am fine. What about you? What're you doing BTW?", she asked without realising what is she even speaking. She can't even concentrate on her breathing let alone framing a sentence.

"Well, I'm good. Um, I'm just doing my internship at AIIMS, I came here for a break", saying he sighed.

"So, you're doctor?", she blinked in surprise, yes, he wanted to doctor but never in her life she expected him to study at AIIMS. It was absolutely amazing.

"Yep, i guess so".

He chuckled at her reaction. They chatted a bit as she watered the plants near the compound wall by his house side. He seemed so nice to her. They spoke like they are best friends meeting after long time. She decided to go with flow. What else she can do?.

He gave her his number and ask to call him whenever she wanted. She didn't expect this either. It was so sweet of him, but she can't find any reason, as all of them happened so suddenly.

It was always used to be her who started conversations. But today, it all felt like dream. She told him that she is a literature student and wanted to become a writer as he asked about her studies. She noticed that he was no longer a boy, he turned out to be an gorgeous young man. His moustache and his day old stubble makes him more charming in way that it does some tickling inside her knees.

When her mother called her, she came to reality and grasps her surroundings. She bid him bye and went inside her home with trembling hands and over-pulsating heart.

What the hell just happened?.

...

Seeing her mother was preparing lunch, Mrinalini asked her whether she wants help. Sivagami smiled and nodded. Seeing Mrinalini smiled at herself, her mother began to talk.

"Mrinu, we are the middle class family, and you have to stand high in front all the ones who insulted us. We need to stay with the good respect in this society. Go and study well dear. Don't waste your time for unnecessary things okay?", her mother advised her calmly with a concern. It was a motherly intuition. Sivagami felt like that her Mrinalini seemed so disturbed from morning itself. She need to protect her only child from this world, before it was too late. And the age of her daughter were also scared her.

Mrinalini instantly started to feel so much guilty, she doesn't even know why. It was just a friendly talk, but he was no where near to be her friend. The fear of getting caught while speaking with him made her anxious. Being so orthodox, she doesn't know how will they react.

"Okay maa", she mumbled without knowing what to say. The night went sleepless again. There so much of emotions from the euphoria to guilt, she experience so much to even breathe peacefully. Just one day speaking with him felt like thousand years. Being an over thinker, it didn't help either because she think of every permutations and combinations between them. It was overwhelming and stressful.

Life is always like this, whenever we think we are actually happy, it does something terrible and make us regret thinking that. We don't ask for happiness, we just want lesser sadness.