02. pretender

two,
pretender

        STANDING IN THE corner of the dressing room with the number 15 plastered on her chest, staring at her ex and his new girlfriend was not exactly Phoebe's idea of fun

STANDING IN THE corner of the dressing room with the number 15 plastered on her chest, staring at her ex and his new girlfriend was not exactly Phoebe's idea of fun. She could've been at home, taking a nap, rewatching Gilmore Girls, or, Phoebe's personal favorite, writing a song. But, Clara was very persuasive. . . and scary.

"People, make sure your audition number is clearly visible on your clothes!" Carlos demanded (for about the third time in half an hour). "This isn't a game!"

Phoebe was kind of intimidated, if she was being honest. Everyone around her was so serious. "Okay," Clara started. "Phoebe, this is your chance to get back at EJ."

Clara gripped her arm and dragged her over to a chair. It was right next to Nini who had her friend doing her makeup while EJ was sitting on the desk, observing the 'competition'.

"Well, naturally you are gorgeous," Clara pointed out, brushing out Phoebe's hair . "Seriously, your eyelashes are so long. I'm jealous. Really all you need is a little bit of mascara and some lip gloss."

"I have some in my bag," Phoebe answered, pointing to her backpack that was in the corner.

"You know, I'm actually kinda bummed that we don't have any competition here," EJ turned to Nini. "It would make getting the leads all the sweeter."

Clara snorted as she handed Phoebe her makeup. "Okay," she rolled her eyes. "Come on, EJ. Sure, you can kind of hold a tune. But you showed up in costume. That proves that you're way too confident and full of yourself. There are other people in this room that could easily get the part. So prepare you ego, we all know it's fragile."

Phoebe silently sucked in a breathe, slowly lowering her lip gloss. She turned to Nini and gave her an awkward smile. "Good luck, Nini."

"Thank you," Nini quietly responded, sending her an equally awkward grin.

"Thanks."

There was a thicker tension in the air, thankfully Miss Jenn knocked on the door and made her entrance. "Okay, theater people," she clasped her hands together excitedly. "Let's do this!"

Everyone in the dressing room cheered and rushed out of the room in excitement. Phoebe, however, froze as panic began to settle in. "I can't do this, Clara."

"Yes you can," Clara argued. "EJ once sent Connor a screen recording of a voice message you sent him of you singing. I found it when I was going through his phone, but that's beside the point. You are so talented, okay? Vanessa Hudgens would be jealous."

Any small confidence that had grown with Clara's encouragement disappeared once she saw the warmup. "Jesus," her eyes widened. "I cannot do that!"