11. thanksgiving

eleven,
thanksgiving

        PHOEBE PLAYED START Of Something New for Ricky and Nini as they sang

PHOEBE PLAYED START Of Something New for Ricky and Nini as they sang. It was the last day of school before thanksgiving break. The bell rang, making EJ jump up in excitement, cutting Phoebe and the others off. "Yes! Yes! Whoo!"

Phoebe grinned at him, knowing how much he loved thanksgiving. Everyone stared at him in confusion. "He really loves thanksgiving," she explained, standing up from the piano bench.

"Okay, hold on!" Miss Jenn got up and walked to the center of the room. "I know everyone is excited for the holiday break but I'm me and I have notes. Ricky and Nini, that was good, but it could be better - she said in the spirit of holiday cheer."

"Good save," Carlos told her quietly.

"Your homework over this break, all of you, is to please go on vocal rest," Miss Jenn went on. "And go over your lines too." Phoebe furrowed her brows, how were they supposed to go on vocal rest and go over their lines? "Which is hard to do on vocal rest, but make it work. And remember, may nothing ever block your doorway to happiness."

As she said that, Mr. Mazzara appeared in the doorway. "Excuse me!"

"Okay starting now," Miss Jenn muttered, staring at Mr. Mazzara. It was well known that the two teachers didn't like each other.

"Oh, don't mind me," he walked further into the room. "I just came to return a missing item." He pulled a binder out from behind is back and turned to Ashlyn. "Ashlyn. . . cannot have our robotics team co-captain going home without her binder over break."

Ashlyn took her binder and walked away. Phoebe sighed, turning to gather her things as Mr. Mazzara and Miss Jenn tried to one-up each other's thanksgiving plans. She wasn't really looking forward to the holiday, she never did before. Years prior it had been because she was forced to spend time with her family. Which was fine except that had included her mom. Now, she wasn't looking forward to it because her mother wasn't there. Sure, Phoebe and Katherine didn't get along most of the time, but Phoebe still loved her.

"You okay?" Clara asked her, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Yeah," Phoebe nodded. "It's just gonna be weird without my mom being there."

"I'm sorry," Clara frowned.

"I'll be fine," Phoebe gave her a small smile. "Sadly, my heart is still beating."

"I felt that."

"Party at Ashlyn's after Thanksgiving tomorrow!" Carlos announced suddenly, everyone who was still in the bomb shelter turning to look at him. "Everyone's invited!"