Seven: Aleksander Morozova

He woke up early, snuck into his office, and called his insurance provider. He managed to charm them into putting Alina onto it as Alina Morozova. He was creating a mess for himself, and he knew it. But he had to know that there wouldn't be any complications in taking Alina to the doctors. He didn't want her discovering that they weren't married just because of some small technicality.

There was a knock on his office door. Alina was standing there, dressed and ready. "You told me to come find you when I was ready. I'm ready," she said, "although it did take a bit because my things were in the other room."

"Sorry about that," he said, "with the chaos of everything, I didn't think to bring your stuff into my room."

She smiled. "It's alright. But are you ready? You looked like you were doing something intently."

He smiled. "I was just adding my wife to my insurance."

She blushed. "I quite like the sound of that. Alina Morozova."

"I do too," he said, "come here."

She walked over to him and stood on tiptoe as she kissed him. He wrapped his arms around her waist, lacing his fingers together.

"This," he said, "is a wonderful way to start my morning. Better than coffee."

"So, then we're ready?"

"I'm ready," he said, "we can get breakfast on the way back."

"I like the sound of that."

The two of them left the house, and Aleksander drove them into the city. When they got to his doctors office, he told the receptionist, "I'm here for an appointment for my wife, Alina Morozova. She doesn't have her insurance card yet because we're in the process of getting her a new one with her name on it but I've got mine."

"Thank you, Mr. Morozova. I'll make sure to add her name for you," the receptionist said.

"Thank you," he said, and then he took Alina over to the waiting room.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. "Any dizziness?"

"Minor headache," she confessed, "but it's probably because we haven't eaten yet or something. I'll be fine once we get some food in me."

He frowned. "You should have said something."

She smiled. "It's nothing. Besides, I didn't want you to worry."

"Alina, that's my job. I'm your husband."

She blushed. "You're awfully sweet, do you know that?"

He grinned. "No, that's not typically the words associated with me. Usually, it's villain or beastly or bastard."

"Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but you are sweet with me."

The door to the doctors office opened, and out came a nurse. "Mrs. Morozova?"

Alina looked up, blushing. "That's me. Still haven't gotten used to it yet. Newlyweds."

The nurse smiled at her. "Congratulations. Why don't you and your husband come on inside and we'll get you ready to see the doctor?"

Aleksander looped Alina's arm through his and helped her through the door. The nurse weighed her, took her blood pressure, and then they sat and waited for the doctor.

There was a knock on the door, and the doctor pushed his way in. He was a tall, older man with spectacles and greying hair wearing a white lab coat. "Ah, Mr. Morozova," he said, "when the nurse said Mrs. Morozova was coming in today for a checkup I was certain I heard wrong. But it seems it's true. This must be the lovely bride."

Alina smiled at him. "Hello."

"Hello, Miss Starkov. I'm Doctor Lebedev. I was told you were in a car accident?"

"Yes. We hit a deer," Aleksander explained.

"Was that what happened?" Alina asked.

"Yes, didn't I tell you?" Aleksander said.

Alina shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Oh, I'm sorry," said Aleksander, "yes, we hit a deer coming home. She hit the back of the seat too hard, and the dashboard."

The doctor checked her over, hemming and hawing as he did so. "Any dizziness?" he asked. "What about memory loss?"

"She doesn't remember our wedding," Aleksander said, "or the proposal."

"The past few days have been foggy," Alina admitted, "the last thing I remembered was talking with Aleksander when I met him at the job interview I was on. And the car accident....at least I think because I don't remember being in the car I remember----"

She paused, her brows furrowing together.

"Alina," said Aleksander, "are you alright?"

She took a breath. "Sorry. Just got dizzy." She had gone very pale suddenly.

The doctor frowned. "I'm going to give you some medication for the headaches. You were unconscious for three days, the nurse said?"

"Yes."

"And this is only the second day that you've been awake?"

Alina nodded.

"You've got at least twelve more days of rest," he said, "nothing too strenuous as far as activity goes."

Aleksander coughed. "Not to be the overbearing husband but what about---"

"Sex," Alina blurted, "what about sex?"

The doctor coughed, then smiled. "You might have some trouble getting aroused, but as long as there isn't anything too harsh you should be fine. But like with anything else, be careful."

"She's my wife," said Aleksander, "I'll take the utmost care of her."

"That's very good to hear," said the doctor with a smile, "come visit me at the end of the month if she hasn't regained her memories."

Aleksander hesitated. "Is it really so much of an issue?"

"It could mean that there are other things going on. But we'll address those issues as they arise. No need to worry just yet. Here's that prescription for you, for the headache medicine." He gave it to her, and Alina put it in her purse.

"Thank you, doctor."

"Of course, Mrs. Morozova. And you feel free to call me should anything change."

"Thank you," said Alina."

Alina got off the exam table, and Aleksander walked over and looped her arm through his. "Breakfast, my love?"

"Breakfast," she said with a nod.

They swept from the office together.