Eighteen: Alina Starkov

Eighteen

There was nothing worse than waiting. In the early morning, Alina and Aleksander went into the city to see Aleksander's main doctor. She took x-rays, and was told they would call her to let her know. Then, Aleksander put her on a train back to Keramzin, and went to work for the first time since they'd been married.

She hadn't had to spend too much time alone in the old house. Or even alone with Genya. Which was why, when she got back, she found Baghra cleaning in the dining room and asked, "Good morning, Baghra. Where's Genya?"

Baghra smiled. "In her room, love. She's been playing quietly all morning for a change. Making up some fantastical fiction in her head."

"Where is her room again?" she asked.

"On the West Side of the house," Baghra answered, "first door on the left."

"Right," she said, "I'm going to go find her and see if we can work on something educational today. If you need me, I'll be with her."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Baghra said. "Aren't you supposed to be resting? That's what Mr. Morozova said."

Alina sighed. "I'm perfectly able to take care of Genya for an afternoon. We'll be doing light activity. I promise, I'll be careful, and if anything happens to me, I will completely take the blame for the whole thing."

Baghra tut-tutted to herself. "Fine, if you insist. But please stick close to the house, Mrs. Morozova. Oh, and I was told to tell you to stay clear of the pond if you do decide to go out."

Alina frowned. "Who told you that?"

"Mr. Morozova," she said, "he told me before he left. I'm supposed to protect you inside the house, Mrs. Starkov."

"Baghra," said Alina, "the tree by the pond had a grave marker next to it. Is that the only one?"

Baghra shook her head. "Oh no. There are several graves on the property, Mrs. Morzova. It was customary in the time to bury family on the property."

"Whose Luda?" she asked. "That was the grave that I found."

The grandfather clock in the entry way sounded just then, causing them to jump.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Morozova. Who?" Baghra said.

"Luda," Alina said.

The housekeeper shook her head. "Oh, I'm slipping," she said, "I must go check on something, Mrs. Morozova. I'm afraid I left it on the other side of the house."

"What's that?" Alina asked.

"I have to go. Excuse me."

She walked off before Alina could stop her. Frowning, Alina shook her head. Maybe Baghra didn't like her yet. She was the 'mistress' of the house as it were. She probably thought that Alina was going to try to take over everything. Alina had no plans of that. Though Aleksander's ideas of trying to redo the house had gotten her thinking. It was old, an in desperate need of some love and care. But right now, she didn't need to be dreaming up ideas. She needed to go find Genya so that she could help take care of the girl.

Alina had yet to learn the layout of Darkling Manor. She had no idea how many rooms there were, or how many floors even. It seemed to be one of those places that was endless. Especially at night if she were walking around lost with no clue as to where she was like she had been the night before.

Now, as she searched for Genya's room, she wished Aleksander had taken time to show her around the house. Of course, they hadn't had much time to do anything except for getting lost in each other. Or dealing with her injury. Was it any wonder she was confused about everything? She barely knew her husband, or her home.

But she knew she was getting close to the West Wing when she could hear Genya's little childish laughter. "What do you want me to do?" Genya asked. "But why?"

There was something that sounded like incoherent chattering coming from her room. The door was open, and Alina could see Genya standing by her dollhouse. "Genya?" Alina called out. "Are you okay? Who are you talking to?"

Genya glanced over her shoulder and smiled at her. "Oh, hello. I was just talking to you."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "To me?"

"Yes, don't you see you?"

"Genya, I can't see me. I mean not unless I have a mirror or something. What are you talking about?"

"The Saint Alina doll," said Genya, and she pulled it out of the little doll house she was playing with. "Luda gave it to me."

The doll was a little girl, with the same, jet black hair as her, brown eyes, wearing a dress of pure gold with a sunburst on it. The orphanage at Keramzin had been a religious one, and it had taught the saints. Saint Alina had been in a stained glass window in their church. If you asked the Christians, though, it was the Witch of Keramzin.

"Where'd you find this?" Alina asked.

"Luda gave it to me," Genya repeated.

Alina shook her head. "That's impossible, sweetie. Luda's dead."

"No, she's not. She visits me every night. She told me to tell you that you've got to swim in the pond so that you can stay with Aleks. Because the other Alina drowned in the pond, and if you don't swim there, Aleks will end up alone."

Alina smiled. "Genya, I'm not going anywhere. Aleksander and I are married. We're going to be a family. We are a family."

Genya put down the doll. "Are you sure? Because Luda says if you don't, she's going to take you away from us."

A shiver went up and down Alina's spine. "Luda's not here. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere." She reaches out hesitantly. "Can I hug you?"

Genya nodded, and she reached out and wrapped her arms around her. Alina smiled. She didn't know how to be a mother. Hadn't thought that she was going to be a mother. But she was one now. Genya's mother. And maybe, someday, she would be mother to a child of both her and Aleksander's.

"Now," said Alina, "I'm still hurt so I have to take it easy, but I thought we could read together. Why don't you go pick a book for me from your shelves and we'll have Storytime?"

Genya nodded. "Yes, please." Then she went to go grab a book for them to read. The two of them sat cozily in her bed, reading for the day, and did not stop until there was a knock on their door late in the evening.

The two of them looked up, and Aleksander was there. He smiled at the two of them. "Well, this is cozy," he said, "how are my two girls doing?"

"Alina read to me!" Genya said. "She says that she's not going anywhere. That she's going to stay forever."

Aleksander's brow furrowed. "Why would she be going anywhere? Genya, she's my wife. Which mean's she's your guardian."

"Luda told me something bad was going to happen to her. She said she had to go to the pond to stay."

Aleksander stiffened, but he still didn't tell her who Luda was. Instead, he only shook his head. "Silly girl," he said to Genya, "there's no one here named Luda. There's only you, and me, and Alina, and our servants. We'll be fine."

"We're a family?" Genya said.

"We're a family," Aleksander told her with a nod.

Genya got up and went to go hug him. Alina watched with a soft smile on her face. Yes, she didn't know everything about her husband. But what she did know, she loved.

Aleksander smiled. "Come on you two. I came to get you for dinner. Chef made your favorite, Genya."

"Meatloaf?" she said with a smile.

"Meatloaf," Aleksander said, smiling also, "ready for meatloaf, sweetheart?"

Alina smiled. "Ravenous," she said, "let's go."

 Aleksander had taken hold of one of Genya's small hands. Alina took the other. Together, the three of them went down to the living room and ate dinner together. Like a family. And it was the happiest that Alina had ever been. Despite the gnawing sense of dread that had been filling her recently.