Neil ☞︎︎︎ i'll wait for you

Requested by :  heaveneily_perry <3
Also, I'm sorry for posting so late exams are bitches

sᴜᴍᴍᴀʀʏ: when Neil tells you he loves you, you need to decide if yes or not being in a relationship with him is the right thing to do.

ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢs: none

☼︎☼︎☼︎

To say that Neil and you were close was an understatement. He was the closest friend you've ever had and the best friend anyone could have. He was gentle, caring, smart, and passionate.

There were times when people thought you were together. While you weren't at all. Though sometimes when a boy or a girl came to talk to you or Neil, you used this excuse.

You knew each other thanks to your parents, so since you were born. Neil was always there for you, during the good times as well as the hard ones. You lived the steps of life together and there was so much more that was waiting for the both of you.

But for now, you were in his room, studying a Shakespeare text for the English class. You both were sat against the headboard, shoulders touching.

"Neil? You seem off" you said and he turned to you

"No, I'm just tired I guess" he answered with a smile

"I know when you're lying. What's wrong?" you insisted

"Nothing Y/n/n, I'm alright" he said and looked back down at the paper

You sighed and rested your head on his shoulder. Neil wasn't the kind of person to talk about his feelings much. So every time he felt bad, you knew what to do and it wasn't to force him to talk to you. It was personal attention.

The issue is that you fell asleep on Neil's shoulder two minutes later. When he felt a weight on his shoulder, he immediately looked down at you, seeing you soundly asleep. He smiled sweetly and closed his book before laying down, bringing you with him.

He put the blanket up and wrapped an arm around you, letting you lay your head on his chest. His movements were shy, he wasn't sure about what he was doing or if what he was doing was okay.

An hour later, you woke up and slowly started to recognized where you were, Neil's room. Then you recognized where you were laying as you looked up, Neil's chest.

You immediately sat up and got up. What happened. You only fell asleep, how did you both end up like this. Neil started to stir as you moved and opened his eyes. When he looked at you he smiled and sat up.

"You only fell asleep on my shoulder, don't take this scared face" he said

"Okay" you said with a laugh

"You're alright?" he asked as he got up

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?"

"I know you, what's wrong ?"

You scoffed and rubbed your forehead
"That I just fell asleep on you. I mean we don't usually do this, as best friends"

Neil's expression changed all of a  sudden, he looked even disappointed but tried not to show it.

"Did it bother you?" he asked

"What do you mean"

"You falling asleep on me, was it really bad" he asked again and came a bit closer. You were speechless, you didn't know how to answer.

"No, but we can't do that, friends don't do this kind of thing" you said

"Maybe I see you more than a friend, y/n" Neil muttered

You were taken aback. Did he really?

"Neil..."

"Wait Y/n, you and I know each other since we're kids and"

"Don't do this Neil" you cut him off

He looked at you with a saddened look
"I like you, I really love you" he shrugged

You exchanged a long look, you were lost and he was waiting for an answer

"Me too" you said without thinking

Neil's eyebrows lifted up a little, but he tried not to show his surprise.
"Really?"

"Yes Neil, but... We can't be together"

"Why?"

"Because.." you started and sat on the bed, gesturing at him to do the same. Once he did, you put your hand on his and sighed

"I like you too, Neil. But... I'm not ready to be in a relationship yet. We're still at school, and I can't engage myself in a relationship with you. Not when I know that it won't work and that I will break your heart even more. School end soon, and I prefer to be independent and by myself if we get together"

You stopped and waited for a response from Neil. He looked down at your intertwined hands for a moment.

"I understand" he said, looking up at you

You smiled softly and bring your hand to his cheek

"Thank you. That doesn't mean I don't want to be with you, it means I can't be with you now"

Neil nodded "I know"

"I know you know"

"Can we still be friends?"

"Of course" you laughed and bring him toward you, kissing his forehead and hugging him.

He hugged you tight. You knew he understood but also that it hurt him. But you also knew this kinda was like a promise. A promise to don't get with anyone until the end of high school. Not that you wanted to.

°°°°°°

This end sucks, I had no idea how to finish it. but I hope this is what you wanted <33