xxxvi. spirits and snakes

Gone? 

How could the Chosen Light just be... gone. It didn't make any sense and the people of the banquet hall knew as much. It was too soon. How could Darkest Shadow have risen without anyone noticing? How could he have stolen the world's most precious light in the span of a single evening? How could they lose Kierli in the midst of an occasion meant to be of celebration?

Aristide was on his feet, running out of the banquet hall in an instant. Nerluce wasn't far behind him. Nerluce didn't remember getting up but he sure as shit remembered running after Aristide as if his life depended on it. Aristide was faster than Nerluce but not by much so they reached Aristide's rooms, where Kierli was supposed to be to find an empty cradle and Fonbi knocked onto the floor, crimson blood mixing with her blue hair.

"Is she..."

Aristide bent down and then shook his head. "No. She's still alive. Barely." He muttered a curse under his breath before turning his head to the open balcony, doors banging in the wind.

"Kierli?" Nerluce asked.

"Not dead. Not yet at least," Aristide said. He closed his eyes and pressed his fingers together. Nerluce watched, quietly, well aware of what Aristide was doing.

In Ethera, there were three types of people. The first and lowest ranking were those in training, Nerluce. The second and middle-ranking were the Seraphs and disciples of the temple. Those who stayed year-round in service of the High Priestess, like Aristide. The highest-ranking members of the temple were the priests and priestesses like Taayir. They practiced magick and taught the disciples. But most notably of all, they were all Seers.

Seeing was not something that could be taught. Not like magick. It took a special gift. Disciples could work their whole life but never be kissed by the wisdom of the gods. Their minds were too weak and would crumble if they attempted to bear it.

Nerluce had seen Seers before. He had watched them take up a similar pose to what Aristide took now, fingers pressed together and eyes closed so they might more easily be given the visions of the gods. But Aristide was just a disciple, no more capable of receiving visions than Nerluce, and even if he was a Seer, there was no Seer in this world who could force the hand of the gods into giving them visions.

But what other choice did they have?

Many others. Nerluce wouldn't just stand here and wait on the whims of gods who clearly couldn't see a good thing when it hit them right in the face or else Aristide would already be a Seer and a better one than the High Priestess. He actually seemed inclined to protect and raise their Chosen Light. Nerluce gritted his teeth. No. He couldn't wait on the gods. There had to be clues or a witness or-

A witness. Of course. There was always a witness. You couldn't go anywhere without being seen by someone or rather something. Nerluce stepped out onto the balcony and skimmed the skyline, looking for a witness. They had to be around here somewhere... there. Nerluce put his fingers between his lips and whistled, drawing the attention of the nearby spirits.

Spirits were everywhere and they loved both Nerluce and Kierli. A couple of wind spirits floated up to him. They weren't intelligent but they weren't unintelligent either. Nerluce didn't know if this was going to be possible but... he'd heard stories of spirits doing odder things. But they were everywhere and they had seen everything and even if they couldn't tell Nerluce who had done it, they could lead him to the perpetrator.

"Hey," Nerluce said, reaching his hand out. The wind spirits blew friendly gusts of air at him. "Hey. Hey. I need your help. Do you know where they took Kierli? The Chosen Light?" He didn't think they'd know her by either of those names. "The... uh... the little one with me. The little light?"