xlviii. probability of dying

Nerluce sat with his back to the door, focused on the unlit wick before him.

The sun was setting but there was still work that needed to be done. There was always work that needed to be done and never enough hours of sunlight to do it. Fire extended the day. It was a powerful and useful element. Some stories told that people had been utilizing fire since before they were utilizing magick. Some stories said that fire was the last of the elements to be given to humanity to control.

All the old stories about fire were kept by the Hebikotis. Nerluce felt as though he'd read them all. But each held the same moral. Fire was young and as such, it was powerful and wily and arrogant.

Lyana came up to Nerluce and bent down, blowing the wick as though she were blowing the flame out, but instead blew it into existence. 

Nerluce glared at her. 

"What?" Lyana asked.

"I'm practicing," Nerluce said.

Lyana rolled her eyes and handed him a different unlit candle. "Well practice with this one. I'm trying to study for our stupid mathematics exam and math is even harder when you don't have light."

"I bet," Nerluce said. "I probably need to study for that too."

"We could work together?" Lyana offered. "Though, the last time we worked together, I don't know how much you got out of it." She sighed. "I think you just tutored me and didn't get to study any yourself."

"No, no it was helpful," Nerluce promised. "It refreshes my brain."

"Do you think Eko would like to study with us too?" Lyana asked. "I could go get them. They could tutor you while you tutor me."

Nerluce snorted. "Why don't you ask?"

"I will. While I'm gone, you should try flailing your arms around," Lyana said with a mischievous smile. "It's what you do to control the fire so maybe it will work to create it."

"Thanks, Lyana," Nerluce deadpanned.

She laughed and left their room.

Nerluce sighed as he turned his focus back to the candle. The months passed too quickly, much like the daylight. Nerluce never had enough time. The final exam was two months away and he wasn't any closer to lighting this candle than he was four months ago at the midterm. He didn't get it. He didn't know what he was doing wrong. Lyana had been able to do it forever. Eko had figured it out recently too. It practically cemented them as one of the next Seraphs. 

But no matter how late Nerluce stayed up or how hard he tried or how badly he wanted it, he just... wasn't able to. He didn't know whether or not he would be able to. Even Coam hadn't been able to master this feat under Tutors. She had to fight for it.

Nerluce wondered if he would need to fight for it too.

Lyana returned to the room with Eko in tow. Eko carried a roll of parchment paper and a couple of their textbooks. Their eyes were ringed by dark circles and they let out a small groan as they sat down on Nerluce's pallet. Had they been overworking themself as well? Probably. Nerluce gave up on lighting the flame for the night and sat down next to them.

"You alright?" Nerluce asked.

"Been better," Eko said. "I don't think I've slept a whole night in two weeks but..." They shrugged. "So what exactly is confusing you?"

"Mathematics," Lyana said. "Like.... all of it."

Eko furrowed their brows. "It's... Lyana we're doing probability. This has been the easiest unit in a while."