Tomato Soup

Zarina Caldwell

"Ms. Caldwell, you have to take your medicine." Nurse Lopez is always hassling me about taking my meds.

But they make me feel like I'm in a daze. No emotion, no interests, nothing, just existing, barely feeling human. I grab the pill and place it in my mouth, I swallow and she checks it all in my mouth.

"Good, now get prepared for lunch" She turns and leaves. I quickly run to my bathroom. Forcing my finger down my throat, throwing up the pill.

I get up and brush my teeth, this place was a madhouse. Patients here ranged from somewhat normal to completely straitjacket psycho. It's not their fault though, no one has control over shit like this. They think they know what they're doing but they are only making us worse.

"Zarina!" Rachel calls my name from down the hall. She has borderline personality disorder. She's been in this place for 3 years and has been fucking every guard here.

"Did you hear that Dr. Mathews is gone?! The sick fuck got caught in the act and is going to prison." She laughs and spins.

"Finally! He was so creepy and such a perv! He was the true Psycho in this place." We continue to make our way down the hall and through the double doors of the cafeteria.

"Mm, smells like tomato soup and grilled cheese!" She hungrily states and quickly floats over to the lunch counter.

The food here was actually pretty good and they made sure we were fed. I grab a tray with tomato soup, grilled cheese, juice, and a salad. We make our way to our usual table and find splattered tomato soup on it.

"Deanna, did you throw your food again?" I ask her while looking over at the other table where she sat.

"Sorry, Henry made me do it." She laughs and picks up her grilled cheese.

"The girl is crazy." Rachel whispers and shakes her head.

"Look where we are, Rachel. Cut her some slack, she can't help it." I reply and sit down at another table. Rachel sighs and sits down as well.

"So, who is the new Psychiatrist?" I ask

"Why do you assume I know?" She scoffs and slurps her soup.

"Because Rachel, you're fucking the head guard." She chokes on her soup and starts to cough a little.

"Bitch, I-I...you're right, I do know." She breaks out in laughter. "Okay, so his name is Dr. Yi, he's 26 and the nurses are swooning over him." She answers.

"How is he 26 and a Doctor already?" I take a bite into the warm grilled cheese.

"They say he graduated college when he was still in grade school. He's like really smart or something." She dips her entire sandwich in the soup and messily eats it.

"Heads up, your boyfriend of the week is coming this way." I state and giggle as she quickly chews and wipes her face.

"Hello, ladies. Everything going alright, today?" Omar questions while smiling at Rachel.