Chapter 17: Opposites Attract

It was a little after ten, and Martin and I stood outside an upscale club. There were a variety of people who vibrated with so much enthusiasm and energy. Most of them were too loud, and their voices contrasted the subdued thumps off the bass that came as people walked out of the building.

Martin convinced me that it was a good idea to come out and celebrate New Year's Eve. He also wanted to introduce me to his friends, which made my legs weak from nervousness. I haven't dated a guy in a while who introduced me to their friends. Dating was a strong word because they were more of failed commitments that started as friends with benefits.

I have always considered my friends to be my newfound family. Whenever I dated someone, and they wanted to introduce me to their friends, I felt like they were introducing me to their newfound family to some degree. I was often bothered by the idea of not making a good impression or simply not being good enough.

I didn't realize that when Martin said friends, he meant that an army of people would welcome us. It was an introduction after introduction. Some gave welcoming hugs, and others a friendly handshake. We were surrounded by some of his friends from high school, and there were few colleagues. Of course, Sam was there, who was a little less sober and far more flamboyant. He stumbled as he made his way towards Martin and me.

"Have I mentioned that both of you look so good together," Sam slurred. He balanced himself with a stranger who had a protective arm wrapped around his waist. "Hey, you look better without the Danny Zuko hairstyle. This rugged look suits you better. Definitely tall, dark, and brooding," Sam reached out and ran his fingers in my hair, only for Martin's hand to stop him.

"I think you had too much to drink," Martin said. He turned to give me an apologetic look, "He's not usually this handsy, but he has been a mess lately."

"Nonsense. I'm just happy that both of you are here," Sam replied. He handed a beer to Martin and asked him to drink. He put a glass on my hand, and I took a sniff to check if it was liquor. "And you, mister-no-alcohol. I can't say that you're missing out, but I got you all the club soda you can possibly have."

I took a sip of the drink, and it was spicy, unbearably bitter, and a lot like battery acid. I figured it was soda mixed with something else—probably poison. I wasn't sure. Whatever it was, it didn't taste good. I coughed from the burn in my throat and my face flushed beet red. Martin clasped a hand on my shoulder and took the glass from me.

"I told you. Aki doesn't drink," Martin raised his voice with the music. He glared at Sam. "What is this anyway?" Martin scrutinized the drink, looking at it before deciding to give it a sniff. He winced upon smelling how rancid it was.

"Oops," Sam giggled and took a sip of a green and lethal-looking cocktail. He didn't even try to make it look like an accident. Martin shot daggers at him, but I dismissed his worries with a pat on his chest and by telling him that I was okay.

When the music changed to something more upbeat, Sam dragged most of Martin's friends to the dancefloor while Martin and I settled on the sofa. I felt the nervousness kick in again because there were many things I wanted to tell Martin, but this wasn't the place nor the right time. My mind wanted the agony to be over, but I struggled with finding the right words. Besides, there wasn't much of a good ambiance to have a decent conversation. But, Martin had his unique way of communicating through knowing grips and intimate glances.

Ever since we spent Thanksgiving together, Martin didn't fail to make me notice how true his intentions were.

After the conversation I had with my dad, it opened a floodgate of realizations. Those were realizations that I have buried deep inside me and have long forgotten. It left me torn. Right now, beside me was a guy who accepted me for all my imperfections. But, my heart chased someone who might have given up on me.