CHAPTERSIX

chapter six
A GLIMPSE
OF THE PAST

"Princess?" A hand wrapped around my wrist

"Princess?" A hand wrapped around my wrist. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I felt my palms heat up as I tried to pry Rashta's fingers off of my arm.

However, she was persistent. She bit her lower lip before speaking quickly, "You don't look fine to Rashta."

"I really–" I took a deep breath in hopes to calm myself. "I really need to go."

"W-Where?! We just started talking!" She stared at me, frustrated. I felt uneasy leaving so abruptly.

But I wanted to hide, leave or do something and she was stalling me. I looked for the familiar blue eyes again, to make sure to get as far away as possible. I didn't know what else to do.

The Emperor, surprisingly, came up to Rashta and started a casual conversation, though I didn't hear a word of it. As the silver haired girl was distracted, I took this as my chance and slipped away.

The banquet hall was packed with nobles and royals from all kinds of regions. As I passed by various people, I heard different fragments of conversations, all relatively lighthearted.

So this was how she lived after abandoning me. I was probably even forgotten beside all these pearl necklaces and tea party gatherings. A glass of wine must have been enough for her to adapt.

I sat on the velvet chair near the corner of the hall, swallowed under the shadow of the stairs next to it. The frame around the cushion had a golden tint, and the fabric was a coloured in a dark hue.

The music came to an end and everyone scurried around to find a partner for the first dance. As I sat in the darkness, I hoped to not be seen by those who were looking around for someone to pair with.

While I watched dresses and coats flutter, I remembered what Heinrey had told me earlier, before the banquet.

'You must participate in the first dance as this is your unofficial debut. I will be your partner, so come and find me when it's time.'

I hurriedly stood up and looked around to find my brother in the crowds. I paced up and down the ballroom. He wouldn't have gone up to the balconies, surely.

After some time searching, I decided to return to my seat, mildly defeated.

"Princess Y/n?" The Empress called for me, sitting on another one of the dark velvet chairs.

There was a moment of silence between us, and I wondered why she wasn't going to dance.

As if asking her, I looked around for the Emperor, only to find him already arm-to-arm with someone else.

"I thought the Emperor and Empress participated in the first dance together." I observed her expression as she sighed.

"They do, but the Emperor loves breaking rules." She fidgeted with the many pearls in her hair. She looked stressed, and maybe tired.