CHAPTERNINE

chapter nine
THE
DRUNK
AND THE
SOBER

Heinrey's one hand rubbed his temple, while his other repeatedly tapped on the shelf beside him

"Why have you come so early?"

"Is it a requirement that I must come later?" Ergi shrugged, his green eyes narrowing in amusement. "I'm here now because I wanted to come."

"You should've just not come at all." The Prince leaned on the well-polished desk, his arms now crossed.

The two of them stood in the room Heinrey occupied, the scent of burning oak and rain in the air entering through the open window – the familiar aroma of autumn.

The Duke chuckled, sounding less snarky than usual; the journey seemed to have worn him out. "Are you afraid I'll take your darling Empress away from you?"

"You have a fiancé, Ergi."

"Contract Fiancé, to be precise." The man said, moving his chestnut hair away from his face with a click of his tongue. "I think she's a good person – and fairly attractive – but unfortunately, we just don't click."

Heinrey shuffled through the pile of papers that he newly acquired. "And I think you're acting stupid. Keep going around like this while engaged and then see the rumours around you."

"Look who's talking, Royal Casanova."

"At least my rumours are false. However for you.." The Prince scrutinised his friend, then sighed and hurried him out of the room. "Go and settle down. We can talk tomorrow."

"Whatever your say, Your Highness." Ergi mocked, his two hands in the air. "Goodnight!"

══ஓ๑ ✦ ๑ஓ══

"So, how was it, Princess?" Celenne smiled as she escorted Y/n back to her room. "Did everything go well?"

"It was interesting." The clacking of her heavy shoes could be heard throughout the hall. "There were some misunderstandings. Kind of all over the place, if you will."

The lady-in-waiting felt a reddish glow creep to her face. She loved the way the Princess would talk about her day, and what she loved even more was when Her Highness asked about hers.

She felt that they were getting closer somehow, and she began to notice the little things that the young royal did.

The way rubbed her knuckles when she was nervous, the occasional massage she gave her wrists awkwardly to pass time and the different expressions she only made when reading.

"What did you do while I was gone, Celenne?" Y/n glanced at her lady-in-waiting as they walked.

"Nothing much, Your Highness. I just read for a while and ran some errands." She smiled, holding out the purple covered book that she had been carrying in her hand. "There's this book that I bought from the marketplace a few days ago.."