CHAPTEREIGHT

chapter eight
THE BEAUTY
OF THE MOON

chapter eightTHE BEAUTY OF THE MOON

1st person:

Celenne gently combed through my hair, perfecting it for tonight.

There was a dinner held to acknowledge the night before the last day of the ceremony.

To get to know the other guests.

"How do you feel, My Lady?" She spoke softly, smiling at me through the mirror.

It should feel normal by now. It should.

"I feel nervous." I admitted, despite my contradicting thoughts. "I should be used to it by now. I've been taking lessons..and..practicing.."

She paused, the brush still in between the strands of my hair. I saw the subtle worry reflecting on her face.

I swallowed the shards of broken glass in my throat, forcing out a smile. Although it may come off as unwelcoming to some people, it is my best method of assuring someone.

"I am going to do my best." I said, and she continued to comb.

She let out something between a chuckle and a sigh as she smiled back.

══ஓ๑ ✦ ๑ஓ══

The stars shaped around the half moon, forming a beautiful canvas, much like ink bleeding onto a page.

It felt so different, yet the same as I watched the sky I'd already seen a thousand times. It was hard to believe that this was the same view I gazed at in the tower.

"The true stars only shine when you are in love; the night is just an illusion." The Emperor walked to my side slowly. "False Night, a wonderful poem."

"That's nice." I responded as courteously as I could muster. Poems never really interested me.

"I like to think that I am a man of literature." He chuckled, placing a hand over his chin. "Nothing like a few fine words."

I tried not to meet his gaze. "Yes— Yes, I suppose."

"They say sweet muttering is the way to charm a heart." He drew nearer, his shoes coming into my view. "What do you say?"

"They must be mistaken." My lungs felt jittery as I took a breath and my neck broke into a cold sweat.

I disliked talking.
I disliked talking to most people.

"You are quite entertaining, Princess." His mouth curved into a smile, he must find my amateur manners amusing.

I leaned onto the marble railings, its coldness embracing my bare hands. "You are quite funny, Your Majesty."