The Games We Play

Written by Ian Kitley

"Why'd you have to go and do that?" Jenny's yell is high, fierce, and filled with the terrified joy that only comes from running for your life.

"Because it was mine, not theirs, and they stole it first," is my response as my feet pound the clay with equal urgency, the baying of ogres right on our heels.

They're the chasers, and we the chased, and it's all an exhilarating cacophony of crazy and chaos... and I freaking love it. Getting one over on the brutes, who think they are better than us because they're bigger and stronger. Well, I showed them—I showed them good.

"You proud of yourself for that, you great galoot? Did you stop to think how we're going to get out of this one?" Jenny's questions are rhetorical. She knows I had no plan when I went after the rockets. All I was thinking was that if the ogres had them, they'd use them for something disastrous, and we couldn't have that. These are the sorts of things that should only ever be in the right hands, hands willing to use them for the great and the good. That will make something beautiful out of the deadly contraptions.

"I had a foolproof plan. Never fails, not once in all the times I've used it." My lungs burn, my chest heaves, and it is glorious.

The ogres shout something behind us, probably something like 'You're dead, you punks' in ogreish if I spoke the language. I wish I brought along my sword on this adventure, but Jenny hadn't thought we needed it when we headed out, and I agreed. Who would have suspected we'd come across the perpetrators of the kingdom's greatest heist while out for a stroll?

"And what, pray bloody tell, is this foolproof plan, fool?"

As we continue running, Jenny's braids slap against her back, her breath short and fast and growing laboured. She is my best friend and questing companion, and probably wonders why she puts up with my antics at times. I get her into more trouble than I have any right to and, so far, have managed to get us right back out again. But we both know I'll get too clever and end up with a beating one of these days. Or worse.

"I thought the plan was obvious since we're enacting it right now: run as fast as we can for safety and hope to hell we lose them." The laughter echoing from my compatriot is all the indication I need; she is having just as much fun as I as we speed up.

The sky above is crystal clear, and the field stretches to the construction road and beyond; nothing in sight but the new development and the town itself. We're going to need to make a decision soon. Left or right, the known or the unknown. Which one would the ogres expect us to head towards, and were they even smart enough to send someone to cut us off?

Split-second decision. No time to think. Just go with my gut. Exactly the sort of thing I'm excellent at.

I don't need to look over at Jenny to know she'll follow my lead, which means I don't lose an ounce of speed as I drop into a home-base slide under the wooden fence bordering the construction road. Immense steam-powered engines of commerce sleep peaceful and serene, providing us with the perfect cover to slip out of sight of our pursuers. I launch myself to the right the second I'm through, racing for the semi-completed structures in the near-distance, my prize clutched to my chest. We've almost made it.

The ogres reach the fence, far too large to fit under, thus buying us a few more precious seconds. I charge between two giant, yellow earthmovers and pivot to the left. The first building would be too obvious, and it's also complete anyway, locks on all the doors. The second one on this side is nearly as complete, but the third...the third has a hole in one wall where a window is supposed to go. Plus, the second floor is only partially complete, perfect for a bunker and spotter's post.