The Egg

The months of tranquility flows through all of us. We all savored the time to clear and reconstruct our minds from the disasters and trauma of our space trip, but the trauma still lingers. Everything that had happened will never be forgotten.

The death.

The devastation.

The destruction.

I miss everyone. Out of 20 people from two squads, only 5 adults return, and out of 7 children, only 3 return. They will all be missed, but I guess it's best to not get caught up in the sorrow too much. There won't be any more space for joy. I like joy because it's how we live in peace and encourage ourselves to live life to the fullest. Everything feels lively!

The mansion isn't very lively right now. It's pretty early. The sun hasn't crawled out of his own bed yet, so I crawl out of mine. Lapis wakes up when he senses me walk past him to the door. Lapis stretches and shakes and follows me into the hall. I slide on the glossy, marble floors in my socks, wandering aimlessly through the halls until I found where in the world was Papa's bedroom. I forgot where it was.

The halls were pretty dim. Only the small lights along the baseboard light the paths of the house. Once I figured I was lost somewhere in the house, I sit down and rest with Lapis. My feet begin to ache.

Light footsteps sound from down the hall. I jolt as a tall, dark figure appears on the left end of the corridor. It had 4 arms. I quickly dive under a thin table against the wall and hide. I quiver, holding Lapis tightly. Lapis begins barking, giving away my hiding place. "Shh!"

Viewing at its feet, it comes closer. "Shush, Lapis!", I desperately hold his muzzle shut. It doesn't work. I shut my eyes reflexively, burying my face in his fur.

"Sophie, dear? What are you doing down there?"

"Huh?"

I open my eyes. The bright hall lights are on. Peering from above his Henry, the butler. He had a blanket hanging off his shoulders.

"Henry, there's a monster!" I crawl from under the table, hugging his legs tightly.

"Monster? In the house?"

"There was a monster with 4 arms!"

"Dear, there is no such thing."

"There was! Really! It was over there! It was huge! It had 4 arms, Henry! And it was dark and I couldn't fully see what it looked like! It was scary, Henry! You gotta believe me!"

Henry looks to the left, to himself, then to the right. He looks back at himself, back to the left, and ends at me. "Preposterous."

"Henry!"

"Now now, little one. I'm sure whatever 'monster' you saw has scurried back into its spaceship by now. How about some early breakfast to ease this situation?"

"We have to find Papa first."

"He's right across from your bedroom, dear. Don't you remember?"

I hop on my toes and smile. "Nope, not one bit!" Henry sighs. "Come along."

Henry leads the way back to my room. "He's right there. As I said, right across from you."

"Thanks, Henry!"

"Your welcome. Don't go distur—"

Before he could finish, it's too late. I run into the room and pounce into his bed. He grumbles under the covers. I crawl over him to the side he was facing and squeeze myself under the blanket. Papa rolls over onto his back, so I take the chance to lay on his chest. Pulling up the covers, I close my eyes and drift off back to sleep.