Errands

Mr. Teal introduces me to some organisms he caught on Polus, even the brain slug from before. I didn't expect we would find any others. The planet seemed mostly empty, but most were hiding underground all this time.

He babbles about his findings. "Most of the creatures I've found are likely parasites. All pretty tiny. Some steal nutrients from the blood. Some burrow into flesh and eat their prey from the inside out..."

"Yuck!", I gag. He pauses, "Too gory? I can talk about something else."

"No, I wanna learn!"

"Are you sure? Black may just be upset if you come running to him about nightmares."

"Yep, I'm a big girl. I can handle it!" Mr. Teal chuckles, "Alright then, feel free to stop listening whenever...This specimen..."

___________________________________________
(Sebastian's PoV)

"There has been a bunch of drama going on with the administrators, so I've heard." Serena and I are talking outside of the Decontamination tube. "I don't know what for, but things have been twisted in here."

"Hmm..." I continue listening. "Probably about the decrease in astronauts. Lost nearly 20, including children. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued the mini-trainee program."

She nods then leans against the wall with her arms crossed. Her expression becomes grim. "It's devastating. All of our friends killed or eaten alive..."

  I feel guilty because I claimed a few of those lives, but I should be comforting at this time. My actions might not be fully forgiven or forgivable, but I'm only here because of Sophie. Everyone just kept their mouths shut. If I wasn't caught up in Gray's insane dare, they wouldn't have to. Still don't know what was Brown's motive whoever he was.

"Sorry..." I mutter.

  "It's not your—well..." she pauses. "...I forgive you...I guess. You became a great help to all of us. I suppose I can cast a blind eye."

  "Yeah..."

  Silence spreads between the both of us. "...I have other errands to run. I'll catch up with you later," I mutter.

  "Bye. Safe travel."

   I go back through Decom and into the lab to get Sophie. After, we take the elevator down to the car. A few admins look to be gossiping outside in the parking lot telling by the way they cover their mouths with clipboards. I ignore it and get in my car after handling Sophie.

I drive off. My next destination is my company. I don't understand why Sophie is so desperate to be there. It's a dump building full of offices and annoying people. What's so special about it?

Not even midway through the ride, Sophie drops the tablet and takes a nap. I don't have to hear any more of that childish background music on whatever game she was playing. Before I release a sigh, my phone rings. It's Liam, my little brother.

  I answer, driving with one hand. "Hello?"

  "Hey, Sebastian. Mother is hosting a family dinner this evening," he says somewhat excitedly. It's funny how he and Grayson are always the first to receive news. I'm the second eldest child.

  "A text message would've been nice." I hold my phone with my shoulder, turning a corner.

  "You never like to look at your messages. Blame yourself that I have to call you for news."

  "And if I decided not to answer?"

  "Then you better hope and pray you randomly appear at the family manor at 7 pm tonight."

  "And if I don't?"

  "If you aren't already in the hospital, lock your doors and have agents protecting you and your house. You are gonna have to find another lawyer for damaged property. I choose life, my guy," he laughs.

  I roll my eyes. "I'll think about it, Lee."

  "Think wisely, hope to see you then." He hangs up.

  That crackhead. But I should be grateful it wasn't Grayson's annoying mouth.

  Dinner: 7 pm. Sophie stays at home. Do I really wanna go?...

No, but I'll think about it.

I pull into the private parking lot behind the company building. "Wake up, Sophie," I unbuckle the seatbelt and get out the car. She's still out like a light, yet it's hardly noon. I poke at her and unbuckle her until he awakens. She opens her eyes eventually. I lay her on my shoulder and walk through the back door. The security guards stand clear from the door. "Welcome back, sir."

"Mm-hmm."

The place is busy, but the wave of eyes and gasps and women checking their makeup begins as I step into the elevator. I press the button to the 8th floor. Sophie didn't bother waking up; she went back to sleep instantly. All that time of begging me and she's sleeping on it. That's on her. The elevator dings open. Her and I walk through the corridors to my manager's office. He better not be in there or a foot will be where no one wants it.

After a turn at a corner, I stand before the door. His voice is heard from outside. He's talking with somebody, either on the phone or in person. I knock. "O-oh. Izzy, please get the door."

Within seconds, the door opens by a woman with black hair with ocean blue highlights. She calm smile fades and is covered with a shocked expression. Her eyes widen and pauses before her greeting can come off her tongue. "O-Oh. The CEO! Sir, it's been a while!", William, the manager I hired, says from his desk. "And you have...a child with you?"

"Don't worry about that part," I reply. I gaze at the woman. "And you are?" She stutters. "I-I'm Isabel, sir. I work as his assistant. Nice to meet you."

"Whatever, okay."

She finally stands out the doorway, and I come in. "Is that your daughter, sir? Can I see-"

"Move your hands." Isabel steps backs immediately, hiding her royal blue nails behind her back. I pull the chair in front of the desk aside and sit, laying Sophie across my lap. "How was your space trip, sir?", William starts conversation.

"Absolutely vile."

"Sir, it couldn't have been too-"

" I didn't ask for comments."

"Did she go?"

"If she wasn't stupid and cute, she would be in a mental hospital, lost in space, or a parasite's appetizer."

"I'm sorry, wha-"

"I said no comments."

"..."

I change the subject. "Where's the report?" He opens a drawer on the desk and pulls out some manila folders. "This is from the past months while you were on your trip and all until this months." He releases them from his grasp into mine. I take a look at a small handful of them. Stable. There has been well increases and stable numbers. "Well done. Thank you."

He nods with a small grin. "Anything needed from employees?", I add.

"Nothing serious that I can't handle."

"Positive?"

"Yes sir."

I stand up from my chair and leave the room. Sophie still hasn't decided to wake up, so I'll take her home to nap. We leave the building and head back to the mansion.

Once we get home, I carry her to her room and take off her shoes to sleep. In the meantime, I look over those reports.