The New Man

Black's PoV

  Breakfast is shot out of my mind as I am driving to Mira HQ to experience what I am expecting. If I couldn't manage any more of this morning traffic, I'd be racing on foot on the shoulder of the highway or calling a helicopter. Let's leave one of those ideas as Plan B.

  My mind was conquered by White's message last night. She contacted the entire team about this. Whatever the major twist of getting a new manager is better be interesting.

  I pull up to Mira and take the elevator up to the top of our building. Everyone is gathered around Serena and her computer. "What's the problem?"

She begins her explanation. "I did background research on our new manager." I take a look at the screen. Gary Stiphins, 49-year-old multi-billionaire. Owns businesses around the entire globe, some of which have been takeovers from falling companies. He even bought someone's airport and helicopter service. Besides owning a huge aircraft, he posted on social media that he paid to get his own rocket built in his backyard. Even has the required education to be around this advanced technology.

  "Dude, this is crazy!", Cheeto(Donovan) says as he runs his fingers through his hair. "...Should I be nervous or excited?"

  "Knowing the rich and powerful, you should be petrified," I comment. I peer at the old hag's picture closely. Short, frizzly, and gray hair. Round glasses. He looks pretty short. Wears a smirk on his lips.

  I don't trust a single cell in his body.

  "...But if I judged incorrectly by this picture, then that's my mistake."

  "When is he arriving?", Purple(Richard) asks. Serena shakes her head without a clue. In my opinion, he should be here within a couple of days to a week.

  Silver(Elijah) and Purple whisper amongst themselves as they search for more information on this man. Teal goes back to the lab. Richard and I leave the company together.

Before I pull off, I search my contacts on my phone.

"...Sebby," Grayson answers the phone.

"Gary Stiphins. Familiar with that name?"

I leave the parking lot and make my drive home. Grayson hums. "Hmm...that old man with the aircraft?"

"Yes, and apparently has taken over countless businesses worldwide." He replies, "Yes, I'm aware. He targeted Father's business several years ago, but that fight he didn't win. What's the matter?"

"The cockroach is coming to Mira. Red flag."

"How peculiar. As an astronaut?"

"As the manager!"

"So he chooses to go this far..." He pauses, then chuckles. "Surely little Sebbie doesn't need his big brother for help?~"

"Don't make me vomit, doofus. I like this car."

I come to a stop at a red light and use the time to gain more information about him. Everything that is happening is bothersome to me. "I need more information on him. I'll make it worth your while."

"24 hours with Sophie."

I pull over on the side of the road, rechecking my hearing. Could've sworn I went deaf for a second. "...I'm sorry, what?"

"1 day with my niecey. Or have you put her up for adoption just this morning?"

"Are you out of your mind?"

"I'm quite sober, thank you."

"Why do you want 24 hours with a kid? You sound like a dang pedophile."

"What good is cash in this minor situation? 1 day with my niece. I'll be nice."

"...Ugh, whatever..." I mutter under my breath. "...weirdo..."

"Then, it's settled. I'll call you if I know something."

He hangs up with a joyful tone. With a sigh, I shake my head and continue on my way home.

When I arrive, Sophie is burning off energy in the backyard with the dog. Henry is cleaning dishes, so I assume she ate recently. She pays no attention of me returning home, so I take myself to my bedroom for some time of freedom before she realizes.